Lecturer(s) International Relations (0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Arts at the University of Groningen is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5,000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of knowledge every day. The Faculty offers a wide range of degree programmes: 16 Bachelor's programmes and over 40 Master's tracks. Our research, which is internationally widely acclaimed, covers the following fields: Archaeology, Cultural Studies, History, International Relations, Media Studies, Language and Literary Studies, and Linguistics.
What will you be working on?
You will teach courses in the field of International Relations (IR) and Political Science. You should be able to contribute to basic introductory courses and more specialized courses in areas such as IR theory, history of IR, international politics and political science, international organization and social science quantitative research methodologies.
We offer you a teaching position with 0.8 FTE.
What are we looking for?
- you have a completed master programme in International Relations, Political Science or relevant social sciences
- you have teaching experience in an academic setting. Relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, University Teaching Qualification) are desirable
- you have excellent social and communicative skills
- you have the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- expertise on security matters and quantitative research methods is preferred.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 2,846 to a maximum of € 4,490 (salary scale 10) gross per month for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- participation in a pension scheme for employees.
Favorable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. We offer 232 holiday hours per calendar year for full-time employment.
The starting date is 1 September 2022. Applicants must be able and eligible to move to (commutable distance of) Groningen and start on that date.
Your appointment will be temporary from 1 September 2022 until 31 August 2023 with possibility for renewal.
We comply with the conditions of employment of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
You may apply for this position until 22 May 11:59pm / before 23 May 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You can fill in the form and upload (all in English):
1. a letter of motivation (max two pages)
2. a CV with an overview of previous teaching experience, including details on level (e.g. BA1), teaching and assessment methods, responsibilities
3. contact details of two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place online on 27 May.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr. Malcolm Campbell-Verduyn
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222308