Tenure Track Assistant Professor Electrochemical conversion of renewables
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy, chemical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as biomedical engineering, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG). ENTEG performs technology-driven scientific research and teaching in product and production sectors and has a strong track record in (industrial) research projects in the field of circularity.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of electrochemistry and electrocatalysis for the conversion of renewables. The development of efficient electrochemical systems for the conversion of renewable resources (e.g. H2O, CO2, biomass) into useful chemical products (e.g. H2 and C-based bulk chemicals and fuels) employing electricity obtained from sustainable sources as wind and solar power is a strategically crucial area of research for enabling the transition to a more sustainable chemical industry and society. In the same context, the processes in which electricity is generated either in a fuel cell or with cogeneration of useful chemical products are also of strategic importance. Some of these technologies are close to large-scale applications (hydrogen production through water electrolysis), whereas for others current research is still at a lower technology readiness level. The candidate is expected to address research questions at these different technology readiness levels and thus to be able to carry out research in electrochemistry and electrocatalysis that encompasses molecular and engineering aspects, e.g. from the development of efficient electrocatalytic materials to the improved design of the electrochemical cells. For this position, the focus is on low-temperature (< 100 ˚C) electrochemical cells.
For more details see the profile report in which the position is described in more detail: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/structuurrapporten/
As Assistant Professor you will:
• set up and develop your own research line and research group
• supervise PhD students
• acquire external funding
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programs Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or a related field
• at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD (can be compensated for after the appointment via extended research visits abroad)
• a relevant international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
• demonstrable organizational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
• willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,821 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 5,943 gross per month (salary scale 12 Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
• holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary;
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 or 0.8 FTE)
• a mentor program and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
• a full-time (1.0 FTE) position as Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As Assistant Professor you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years.
This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an Associate Professor. After another 4 to 7 years you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4?lang=en
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans.
Applications can be submitted until 27 February 11:59 pm / before 28 February 2022 Dutch local time (CET), by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the first two weeks of April.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. The University welcomes applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. P.P. Pescarmona
+31 50 3636521
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222026
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail Research institute ENTEG Career Paths in Science