Teacher in the area of Machine Learning / Cognitive Robotics (1.6-2.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provide respectively 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a temporary teacher in the Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes in Artificial Intelligence. The teaching staff in these programmes is associated with the Department of Artificial Intelligence of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computing Science and Artificial Intelligence. In these programmes, teaching is in English, promoting an international setting and with a focus on research-driven teaching.
The duties of the Teacher will include, depending on the interests and experience of the candidates:
• teaching, tutoring and grading course modules in the Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes in Artificial Intelligence. The course modules to be taught are in the area of Machine Learning, but depending on interest and experience of the successful candidate may also include Cognitive Robotics or other topics in AI
• instructing and advising Bachelor’s and Master’s students during their research projects on Machine Learning / Cognitive Robotics
• assisting other staff members in their teaching where needed
• recruiting, selecting and managing Teaching Assistants (students) for your course modules.
Part of the appointment includes time for professionalisation activities (up to 10%).
The successful candidate should:
• have a PhD or Master’s degree in a relevant field, preferably in Artificial Intelligence
• have excellent teaching skills
• be fluent in English
• preferably have experience in teaching at the University level
• possess cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communicative skills
• have willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 2,836 up to a maximum of € 4,474 gross per month (salary scale 10) for a full-time position
• in addition to the salary: 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• an appointment for one year. The following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 4.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• a CV
• motivation letter.
You may apply for this position until 16 January 11:59pm / before 17 January 2022 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr F. Cnossen
+31 50 3636336
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221726