12 PhD candidates/Junior lecturers (1.0-0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Law
University of Groningen
We are an internationally oriented university that has partnerships with world-class (foreign) universities such as Uppsala, Göttingen and Ghent. We have around 36,000 students and 7,500 staff members from The Netherlands and abroad. We work together with partners in society on the themes of Healthy Ageing, Energy and Sustainable Society.
Our faculty is both a modern and classically oriented faculty. Even though it has a four-century-long tradition, it continues to innovate its education in order to train broadly oriented lawyers. Our research largely transcends legal fields and is multidisciplinary in nature. With almost 5,000 students and 500 staff, it is a medium-sized faculty of the UG.
Are you a (nearly)graduated hardworking law student enthusiastic about combining research and teaching as a PhD candidate or a Junior Lecturer? The Faculty of Law of the University of Groningen is offering an opportunity to work as a researcher, possibly combining this with teaching.
The ratio between the two positions will be determined in consultation between department and candidate. The research part will be between 50 and 100 percent and the duration of the appointment between 4 and 6 years.
As a PhD researcher, you will carry out independent scientific research under the mentorship of supervisors, which will result in a dissertation (PhD thesis). For this purpose, you will develop a research proposal that fits in with one of the faculty’s research programmes (https://www.rug.nl/rechten/onderzoek/groningen-centre-for-law-and-governance/onderzoeksprogrammas). In the selection of the proposals both the quality of the proposal and a distribution across the research programmes will play a role.
The Groningen Graduate School of Law (GGSL - https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-law/) offers a training programme to help carry out this research. Your training programme will be tailored to your interests, and needs for development. During your appointment, you will publish and present (partial) results of your research in academic and professional journals and participate in academic activities and events, such as conferences and seminars.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to teach in various fields of law. You will be involved in the development and implementation of (new) courses in that field of law, both in terms of contents and the teaching of skills. Join our team!
You must have a (nearly) completed Master’s degree, preferably in law and/or a domain of science that is relevant to the execution of the research proposal. Master degree students who intend to graduate in September 2022 are also encouraged to apply.
The ideal candidate should have the following competences:
● analytical mind
● result orientation
● critical research attitude
● good didactic and contact skills
● good command of English and a minimum level of Dutch, depending on your field of research
● flexible deployment during examination periods
● passionate about teamwork, flexibility and communication.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, we offer:
● a gross starting salary of at least € 2,434 during the first year with a maximum of € 3,548 in the 6th year. The salary mentioned is composed of a combination appointment of PhD candidate/ junior lecturer on a full-time basis
● 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus over the annual gross salary
● a temporary employment contract of 4 to 6 years (depending on the chosen combination profile)
● attractive leave and opportunities to follow training courses.
Starting date: as of 1 March 2022
You can express interest by:
• a motivation letter explaining why you want to do research, why this subject is specifically important, why you are ideally suited for this and, if possible, with which supervisor could conduct this research; also indicating the legal field in which you would like to teach
• a curriculum vitae
• a list of marks or results acquired in the Bachelor's and Master’s degrees and a certified English language test for non-Dutch speakers* (combined in one document)
• the name of a reference that we may approach and/or a written recommendation
• a proposal of research of maximum 4 A4 (excluding bibliography, but including footnotes) in which the following parts are dealt with:
1. the introduction of the research question
2. the definition of the question
3. relevant literature
4. the methodology
5. the plan of approach
6. the integration into (one of) our research lines.
*a certified language test: CPE, CAE, IELTS or TOEFL; (IELTS > 7.0, all section scores should at least be 6.5 plus a writing score of at least 7.0; TOEFL > 100, all section scores should at least be 23 plus a writing score of at least 25).
You are exempt from proving proficiency in English if you:
● are a native speaker and have completed secondary education in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia
● have already completed a bachelor and master’s programme in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia
If English was the medium of instruction during your previous education, but you do not meet the above mentioned requirements for exemption, you are still required to prove your English proficiency by means of one of the tests as mentioned above.
You can submit your application until 31 January 11:59pm / before 1 February 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews will be held as soon as possible after this closing date.
Our university is an inclusive organization: a versatile employer for all groups in society. We therefore welcome a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds and knowledge. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the NVP recruitment code, https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Please note: applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. A. Tollenaar, Director GGSL
+31 50 3635394
Drs. L. Both, Coordinator research master and PhD programme
+31 50 3635936
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221701-12E