Lecturers Chinese Language Learning (0.2-0.4 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 30,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
The Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5.000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of knowledge every day. The Faculty offers a wide range of degree programmes: 16 Bachelor's programmes and over 40 Master's tracks. Our research, which is internationally widely acclaimed, covers the following fields: Archaeology, Cultural Studies, History, International Relations, Media Studies, Language and Literary Studies, and Linguistics.
You will teach an incremental course of Standard Mandarin Chinese as part of the BA in international Relations and International Organization (IRIO). Chinese is one of the language options that BA students can select as part of their IRIO BA. Taught over three semesters, the Chinese option comprises three levels of attainment progressing from basic to early-stage intermediate competence in pronunciation, vocabulary, modern syntax, informal speaking registers, and relevant cultural knowledge. Students will require your guidance in developing their learning strategies. You will contribute to the selection and combination of suitable teaching materials, but students are expected finally to reach an early-stage intermediate level commensurate with level 4 (out of 9) in mainland China’s Chinese Proficiency Tests (HSK - Hanyu shuiping kaoshi).
● You have contributed to successful and innovative programmes of Chinese language acquisition by non-Chinese and/or non-native speakers
● You are competent in utilizing both Chinese and English—or other European language—teaching resources
● You are broadly acquainted with the field of second language acquisition, the Chinese language’s place in this field, its most recent best practices, tools and aids
● You can inspire ambitious learning goals within limited teaching/study hours, and develop strategies for these goals’ success
● You can advise and instigate relevant activities: for example, proposing extra-curricular enhancements (e.g. language “clubs”), expanding library/learning resources, progressing international exchanges
● You have teaching experience in an academic setting. Relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, University Teaching Qualification) are desirable
● You have excellent social and communicative skills
● You have the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 7 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- depending on experience and qualifications a minimum salary of € 2,836 up to a maximum of € 4,474 (salary scale 10) gross per month for a full-time position
- excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favorable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
- 232 holiday hours per calendar year for full-time employment
- a temporary appointment from 1 February 2022 until 31 August 2022 (7 months) with possibility for renewal.
Applicants must be able and eligible to move to (commutable distance of) Groningen and start on that date.
We comply with the conditions of employment of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
You can submit your application until 19 December 11:59pm / before 20 December 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You can fill in the form and upload (all in English):
● a letter of motivation
● a CV with an overview of previous teaching experience, including details on level (e.g. BA1), teaching and assessment methods, responsibilities
● You may opt to include any Chinese teaching materials and/or course programmes which you have developed (alone or in collaboration with others)
● contact details of two referees
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place online on Wednesday 22 December.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Oliver Moore
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221684