Assistant Professor in Normative Ethics (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Philosophy
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is an innovative and research-driven institute in the Northern part of the Netherlands. It is an internationally oriented university with 36.000 students and 7.500 employees. Quality is a top priority and as a consequence, the University has a strong international reputation and maintains a firm position in the international university ranking lists.
The Faculty of Philosophy is a vibrant, international community of excellent researchers and teachers. It consistently receives the highest evaluations both for research and for teaching among philosophy departments in the Netherlands. The Faculty has three departments: History of Philosophy, Theoretical Philosophy, and Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor in Normative Ethics.
Research, teaching (undergraduate and graduate courses, thesis advising), and some departmental service. The Department of Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy has teaching needs in normative ethics and is looking for a philosopher whose central research interest is in this area.
• PhD prior to appointment
• strong research profile and publication record appropriate to career stage
• record of high-quality teaching appropriate to career stage
• willingness to apply for relevant research grants
• some experience with administrative duties and/or departmental service and/or professional service is welcomed
• excellent command of English
• working knowledge of Dutch (level B2 or higher) within three years after appointment is required
• ability to teach in Dutch (level C1) as soon as possible thereafter is highly desirable but not immediately required.
Conditions of employmentWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience for candidates at the Assistant Professor level a salary ranging from a minimum of € 3,307 (salary scale 11) gross per month to a maximum of € 5,922 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
• an 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees; favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
• a position that will become permanent (not tenure track) after a period of 12-18 months conditional on a positive performance review.
Starting date: no later than 1 September 2022
Applications should include the following:
• cover letter
• full CV, including a list of publications and presentations, as well as a list of courses taught
• a brief research statement (no more than 2 pages) and a sample of written work (5.000 to 10.000 words)
• teaching evaluations
• the names and contact details of three academic references (who will be contacted regarding the candidates who are longlisted).
You can submit your application until 20 January 11:59pm / before 21 January 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (please click on the 'apply' button at the bottom of the page). Please combine all materials into one file and upload your file in the system as a letter of motivation.
A round of (online or offline) interviews will be held on February 10 and 11, 2022.
We strongly encourage applications from female candidates and members of other groups currently underrepresented in academic philosophy. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. F.A. (Frank) Hindriks
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221670