Professor of Language and Social Interaction (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
Where will you be working?
The University of Groningen and the Faculty of Arts recently formulated a new strategic plan for the coming 5 years, with a focus on research and societal impact and the further development of innovative education (active and blended learning). We focus on the development of interdisciplinary research and teaching in the fields of Healthy Aging and Public Health, Energy Transition and Climate Adaption, Digital Innovation and Artificial Intelligence, and Governance and Sustainable Processes for a Sustainable Society. Please follow this link if you would like to read more about these plans (UG Strategic Plan http://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/strategic-plan and Arts Strategic
Contact Thealies Oosterman (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email@example.com for a copy of the profile report.
Are you passionate about processes of human communication? Are you fascinated by how we use language to negotiate relationships, acts and events in daily life and in professional situations? Are you willing to join our academic community in Groningen, lead our research group on Language and Social Interaction and contribute to the development of our programme in Communication and Information Studies? Then you might be our next Full Professor of Language and Social Interaction.
Who are we looking for?
● You are an internationally recognized expert in Communication and Information Studies, in particular in Language and Social Interaction
● You have an excellent research track record, as evidenced by an outstanding publication record and successful grant applications
● You are interested in, and preferably have experience in, both qualitative and quantitative research methods
● You are open or already contributing to interdisciplinary research
● You have an inspiring view on teaching, including curriculum development
● You have extensive experience with teaching and administrative tasks
● You are willing to fulfil administrative roles at cluster or faculty level
● You have excellent leadership qualities and you are able to create and strengthen collaborations within the Faculty, the University of Groningen and other institutions (in the medical or educational fields) and within the broader research field and society
● You have a strong societal network and you are successful in transmitting your research and teaching to societal partners and a general audience
● You have gained the University Teaching Qualification or are prepared to do so within one year
● You are fluent in English (C2 level of the CEFR) and Dutch, or are willing to learn Dutch within two years (to at least C1 level of the CEFR – for reading and listening).
Conditions of employmentWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU):
• an appointment at the level of Full Professor with a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 5,843 gross per month up to a maximum of € 8,508 (salary scale H2) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The appointment will ideally start as soon as possible, but at the latest 1 August 2022
You can submit your application until 6 January 11:59pm / before 7 January 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Please fill in the form and upload 4 PDF files:
1. a letter of motivation and qualifications for the position
2. a Curriculum Vitae with a list of five self-selected best papers or publications, a complete list of publications and names and contact details of at least three referees
3. a brief description of your academic interests and plans; a statement about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total)
4. an appropriate and characteristic sample of your writing
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place over January and March 2022.
A trial lecture and a research presentation are part of the standard procedure. A leadership assessment may be part of the procedure.
We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and we consider diversity and gender balance to be very important. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment Code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and the European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Anthonya Visser, Dean of the Faculty of Arts
Ms T. Oosterman
+ 31 50 3635834
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221662