PhD position in Arithmetic Geometry (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programs and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
The University of Groningen invites applications for a PhD position in Arithmetic Geometry under the supervision of Prof. Cecília Salgado.
The successful candidate will work on a research project in the area of Arithmetic Geometry. The goals are flexible and will be adapted to the interests and strengths of the candidate. Possible topics include: qualitative questions around rational points on algebraic varieties, fibrations on surfaces and higher dimensional varieties, and algebraic geometry in coding theory.
The successful candidate will also participate in seminars and activities organized by the Algebra group at RUG and interact with their supervisor (Cecília Salgado) and other colleagues working in Algebraic Geometry and Number Theory (such as Jaap Top, Steffen Müller, Pinar Kiliçer, Oliver Lorscheid and Martin Djukanovic, their postdocs and students).
The successful candidate should:
• have a Master’s degree or equivalent Mathematics prior to the starting date
• be able to communicate in English
• have a background in algebraic geometry and number theory.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.We offer you, following the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary of € 2,434 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 3,111 gross per month in the fourth and final year for a full-time working week
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a full-time position (1.0 FTE). The successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the next three years is to be expected. A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering.
Application should include:
• letter of motivation
• CV (including contact information for at least two academic references)
• transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degree.
You can submit your application until 14 October 11:59pm / before 15 October 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Applications received before 15 October 2021 will be given full consideration; however, the position will remain open until it is filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Cecília Salgado
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221540