Associate Professor in Science and Technology Studies (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in IREES (Integrated Research on Energy, Environment & Society - https://www.rug.nl/research/irees/). IREES sees decarbonizing the economy and society as one of the most urgent challenges that humanity faces. At the same time, the energy transition is inextricably linked to other core sustainability issues such as equality, food security, land and water scarcity, biodiversity and climate change. At IREES, we develop integrated approaches, often in collaboration with stakeholders and the public, that allow us to harness co-benefits, anticipate spill-over and unintended side effects, and minimize trade-offs. IREES is home to scientists with a diverse range of backgrounds including ecologists, soil scientists, environmental scientists, economists, social scientists and the humanities.
We are looking for an Associate Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of Science and Technology Studies. The candidate is expected to have a broad overview over concepts and methodologies within the fields of ‘Science, Technology and Society’-research and Sustainability Science, and will focus on the dynamics of natural sciences and society interactions, with a focus on sustainability, energy systems and natural resources. The candidate initiates and develops an internationally competitive research program, based to a large extent on extramural funding, addressing new roles of natural sciences concerning understanding and improving science mediated human-nature relationships. The candidate’s research program should include a strategy to build up and strengthen multidisciplinary contacts within and outside the university.
The Associate Professor will focus on key challenges related to the energy transition with research and educational efforts on:
● the evaluation of the present unsustainable character of society and the role of science in this respect
● assessment of the potential to effect changes towards (a more) sustainable society
● strategies to implement the sustainability potential by improving the environment-economy and knowledge-society interactions
● the development and inclusion of concepts like sustainability and resilience in relation to natural sciences and technology and their applications, e.g. developing sustainable energy systems and sustainable land and sea (use) systems
● the linkages of normative issues such as responsibility, integrity, and sovereignty in innovation processes in science and technology
● governance of science at different societal levels, such as the involvement of societal actors during development and application of nature conservation and environmental sciences; and
● .itigation and adaptation to climate change (via energy transition, technology innovation, land-use, carbon removal, and environment-economy interactions).
As Associate Professor you will:
• set up and develop your own research line and research group
• supervise PhD students
• acquire external funding
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programs Masters in Energy and Environmental Sciences and potentially to other relevant programs such as the intra-university Minor program Future, Planet, and Innovation
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Associate Professor 40% of your time is for research, 40% for teaching activities and 20% for organizational tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in Science and Technology Studies or a related field
• at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD (can be compensated for after the appointment via extended research visits abroad)
• a relevant international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• independently supervised PhD students
• received substantial research grants from external sources
• a good track record in teaching and in curriculum development
• demonstrable organizational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• an inspiring supervisor who stimulates his or her group members to get the best out of themselves
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to highlight the societal relevance of your research
• in possession of or willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to learn it within five years.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, from € 5,275 (salary scale 13) up to a maximum of € 7,054 gross per month (salary scale 14) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• a mentor program and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
• a full-time tenured position as Associate Professor in our faculty’s career system Career Paths in Science and the possibility to work part-time (0.9 or 0.8 FTE).
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
After 4-7 years, you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4?lang=en
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You can submit your application until 14 October 11:59pm / before 15 October 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place mid November 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
For additional information, please contact:
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221537
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail Career Paths in Science Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen (ESRIG)