Post-doc position Advanced Additive Manufacturing of Stainless Steels (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage currently more than 36,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and the top 100 universities in the world (see our ranking: http://www.rug.nl/about-us/where-do-we-stand/rankings, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
One post-doctoral position is available in the Advanced Production Engineering (APE) research group at the Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG), Faculty of Science and Engineering. For more information about the APE group please use the following link: www.rug.nl/research/ape
Topic of research: Advanced additive manufacturing of stainless steels
Additive manufacturing (AM) offers virtually unlimited possibilities to realize any desired geometry. It is especially suitable to produce complex structures and internal features that cannot be produced using conventional subtractive methods. A current limitation of AM is the degraded dimensional control and surface integrity of specific surfaces. The objective of this SNN project is to enable high quality and high precision additive manufacturing of stainless steel components by addressing product structure, AM process and material properties related challenges in an integrated solution. The outcomes include material-centric design guidelines for geometric optimization to compensate shape deviation, post-AM heat treatment for tailored microstructure and experimentally validated physical model relating microstructure and material properties to the performance of stainless steel prints.
• candidates should have a PhD degree in materials science and engineering
• a strong background in additive manufacturing, laser materials processing and metallurgy will be a clear advantage
• the successful candidate is expected to have an excellent academic record and is curious, creative and ambitious
• you should be able to work in a multidisciplinary environment in close cooperation with other experts and be fluent in English (both oral and written).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary of € 3,353 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 4,402 gross per month (salary scale 10) based on a full-time position and dependent on qualification and work experience
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees
• the successful candidate will be offered a position of two years. The position requires residence in Groningen.
The preferred starting date is 1 October 2021.
Applications, including a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae, a list of publications, and the contact information of two academic referees, must be submitted by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university's website).
All applications received by August 10 midnight, 2021 will be given full consideration.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Y. Pei
+31 50 3632037
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221480