Tenure Track Assistant Professor Molecular Materials Chemistry (1 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, chemistry, and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, chemistry, and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Stratingh Institute for Chemistry, that focuses on research in molecular and supramolecular chemistry, with overarching impact on biology, chemical engineering, physics and material science based on fundamental organic and inorganic chemistry.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of molecular materials chemistry.
Organic-materials chemistry is primarily concerned with the synthesis of organic and eventually organic-inorganic hybrid molecular materials that exhibit useful properties in the solid-state. This discipline exemplifies the central role of Chemistry in the natural sciences and often occurs at the interface with other scientific disciplines. A key feature is the application of synthetic chemistry to control the form and function of materials, be they mechanical, electrical, (electro)magnetic, optical, etc.
As Assistant Professor you will:
• set up and develop your own research line and research group
• supervise PhD students
• acquire external funding
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programs in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (BSc & MSc level) and Nanoscience (MSc level)
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks.
Profile report: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/structuurrapporten/20211307-structuurrapport-tt-assist-prof-molecular-materials-chemistry.pdf
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in (materials) chemistry or a related field
• at least two years of postdoctoral experience, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD (can be compensated for after the appointment via extended research visits abroad)
• a relevant international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
• demonstrable organizational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
• willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.We offer you a full-time position as Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science and:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,746 up to a maximum of € 5,826 gross per month (scale 11 or 12 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
• holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary;
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
• a mentor program and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As Assistant Professor you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an Associate Professor. After another 4 to 7 years you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4?lang=en
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans
You can submit your application until 12 September 11:59pm / before 13 September 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The (online) selection interviews will take place in the first two weeks of October.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. A.J. Minnaard
Dr. G.P.R. Schaeffer
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221479
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail More information about the research institute Career Paths in Science