Practical Lecturer in Ecology & Evolution (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7.000 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the Biology bachelor programme.
We are looking for a practical lecturer who can strengthen our BSc degree programme in Biology, to teach practicals and tutorials in the field of Ecology & Evolution, and contribute to their innovation. You will be involved in field and lab practicals in various BSc courses, including Research Skills in Ecology and Evolution, Ecophysiology of Plants and Animals, and Systems Ecology & Ecological Interactions. In addition, you will support BSc students in their research projects in Ecology & Evolution. These teaching activities are scheduled as full-time (three-week) block courses; as a result, you can expect periods of high workload and daily, intensive contact with students during courses, alternated with periods that allow for more flexible planning, during which you can prepare for upcoming practicals.
The tasks of the practical lecturer will include:
● the preparation and organization of ecological lab and field practicals, including tasks such as the preparation of biological material, organizing equipment and consumables for experimental work, and preparing practical rooms or field excursions;
● supervising students during lab and field practicals and tutorial, teaching ecological research skills, and assisting in student assessment
● overseeing adherence to safety protocols and securing safe working conditions for students and staff
● managing the allocation of students to practical groups, monitoring student attendance, and accommodating students with special needs
● contributing to the development/revision of new/existing practicals and tutorials
● coordinating all of the above activities with the responsible course coordinators, practical coordinator and fellow practical teachers.
We encourage you to apply if you:
● have a MSc or PhD degree in the area of ecology and evolution or a related field
● possess excellent experimental skills, in the lab and/or in the field, up to the level required for the innovation of practicals and tutorials
● have experience in teaching or supervision of students, for example, as a teaching assistant, tutor or lecturer
● have good command of spoken and written English
● are a team player with good communication skills
● exhibit a talent for organization, flexibility and time management skills, to be able to cope with fluctuations in workload
● are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary, depending on work experience and qualifications, with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
● an appointment for one year that will be extended by two years if you perform well
● a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
● an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
● a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
● training opportunities to further develop your didactic capabilities, including the UTQ (BKO) training.
Preferred start date: 1 September, in any case not later than 1 November
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
You can submit your application until 13 June 11:59pm / before 14 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will take place between 28 June and 2 July 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Sander van Doorn (for information about the position)
Prof. Marc van der Maarel (for other information)
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221349