Education Officer for Biomedical Sciences programme (0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7,000 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the Biomedical Sciences master.
We are looking for an education officer who can strengthen the practical skills of the students in our MSc degree programme Biomedical Sciences. We want to provide our students with the hands-on skills they need for their practical internship/research project and gain practical experience in basic laboratory skills. These skills include the design, execution and interpretation of practical work.
The tasks of the education officer will include:
● teach master students basic laboratory skills
● bridge the gap between the lecture/theory and the laboratory or practical class
● designing activities for a laboratory or practical class
● running the laboratory or practical class
● contribute to develop activities to enhance student learning in laboratory sessions.
We encourage you to apply if you:
● have a MSc degree in LifeScience and Technology/Chemistry/Biology or a degree of the University of Applied Sciences with relevant experience
● have lab skills for all techniques required for modern biomedical laboratory sciences
● have teaching experience
● have the ability to enforce the safety rules
● have good planning and organizational skills
● have good command of spoken and written English
● are a team player with good communication skills
● are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on work experience and qualifications, with a minimum of € 2,920 up to a maximum of € 4,012 gross per month (salary scale 9) for a full-time position
• an appointment for one year that will be extended by two years if you perform well
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
Preferred start date: 1 September, in any case not later than 1 November
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
You can submit your application unti 13 June 11:59pm / before 14 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will take place between 28 june and 2 July 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Dineke Verbeek, for information about the position
Prof. Marc van der Maarel, for other information
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221345