Lecturer for Physics practicals (1.8 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7000 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the programmes of Physics and Applied Physics.
We are looking for two motivated and enthusiastic lecturers who can strengthen the existing lecturing team of the degree programmes in (Applied) Physics and Biomedical Engineering (BME). The new colleague will be responsible for the content, maintenance, operation, safety, and coordination of part of the (Applied) Physics and BME lab courses.
The tasks of the lecturer will include:
• teaching and coordination of physics laboratories and tutorials in the Physics, Applied Physics and BME programmes
• supervision of the daily operation of the labs
• management and maintenance of the lab facilities, including preparation/purchasing of equipment
• recruitment, selection and management of teaching assistants
• supervision of students and teaching assistants on lab operations
• innovating existing practicals so that they (partly) can be offered online
• introducing and implementing numerical/computational assignments in practicals with a high intake of students
• developing, implementing and conducting lecture demonstrations (in collaboration with the lecturer of the course).
We encourage you to apply if you:
• have a MSc degree in (Applied) Physics or related field
• have experience in physics lab work
• have excellent teaching skills
• preferably have experience in teaching at the University level
• have good command of spoken and written English
• are a team player with good communication skills
• are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
• radiation safety level 5b is an advantage
• have knowledge of computer control systems and connection to measuring equipment.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on work experience and qualifications, with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
• an appointment for one year that will be extended by two years if you perform well
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• training opportunities to further develop your didactic capabilities, including the UTQ (BKO) training.
Preferred start date: 1 September, in any case not later than 1 November
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
You can submit your application until 13 June 11:59pm / before 14 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will take place in week 21-25 June 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. E. van der Giessen, Programme Director BSc Biomedical Engineering, info about the positions
+31 50 36 38046
Dr Gerco Onderwater, director School of Science and Engineering, for other information
+31 50 36 33557
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221338-39