Embedded Data Engineers (2.4-3.0 FTE)
Center for Information Technology
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering offers education and research in a wide range of disciplines, from traditional scientific disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The Faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programs are in English.
The Digital Competence Centre (DCC), a collaboration between the University Library and Center for Information Technology, is the one stop shop for research data management and research IT support.
Digitalisation and FAIR data management are becoming increasingly important in research. The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) in collaboration with the Digital Competence Centre (DCC) of the University of Groningen (UG), is therefore looking for 3 Data Engineers (2.4-3.0 FTE) for the research institutes ENTEG, GBB, and Stratingh Institute. (link: https://www.rug.nl/research/fse/institutes-and-centres)
As a data engineer you work for both the DCC-team within the Center for Information Technology (CIT) (0.2 FTE) and a research institute at the Faculty of Science and Engineering (0.6 to 0.8 FTE). Formally you will be positioned at the CIT/DCC and seconded to FSE for 0.6 to 0.8 FTE. You support the implementation of the research data management policies of the institute by advising and applying the preferred methods and tooling of the UG. The full integration and linking between the data management solutions is one of the main goals. You are the linking pin between the research groups of the institute, the DCC and other colleagues at the CIT. You are part of and contribute to the success of the research groups within the research institute by working on three important aspects.
1. You ensure the use of secure IT practices and solutions as a main target of your work. You do so by understanding the needs of the research groups and finding and applying fitting IT-solutions of the CIT.
2. You implement secure solutions to allow access and analysis of research data from locations outside the lab. This can be on site, a home office, or any other location where you can have a safe connection.
3. You support the use of digital labjournals and help to store, archive and retrieve research data on the iRODS based storage system of the UG.
This involves a newly created type of position. This gives space and freedom to organize and to give shape to this position. Several new data management tools are being adopted, but further implementation is encouraged and in some cases required.
Initial training in the tools and methods is provided if needed.
● experience/strong affinity with IT and a keen eye for the importance of IT security
● experience/affinity with FAIR research data management
● academic thinking and working skills
● programming experience, preferably in Python
● you can work independently, and have the organisational skills to make proposals and convince the involved parties
● strong communication skills and a proactive mindset to solve the issues researchers face when collecting and managing research data
● fluency in English and preferably in Dutch, both written and spoken
● experience/affinity with either physics, biology and/or chemistry research practice and laboratory experiments is considered a plus
● knowledge of applicable legislation regarding data management (https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/organization/rules-and-regulations/general/gedragscodes-nederlandse-universiteiten/wetenschappelijke-integriteit) is considered a plus.
Contractduur: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary of a maximum of € 4,402 gross (salary scale 10) per month for a full-time position, depending on qualifications and experience
● a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% of your gross annual income
● a temporary employment contract for the duration of two years depending on organisational developments and job performance, it may be possible to convert your temporary employment contract to an employment contract for an indefinite period after two years.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 24 June 11:59 pm / before 25 June 2021 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Only submissions via the application form will be considered.
Interviews will be held on 29 June, 1 July or (possibly) 8 July.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Voor meer informatie over deze vacature kunt u contact opnemen met:
Jorn Seubers, DCC Teamlead
Noemt u in uw sollicitatie altijd het vacaturenummer 221325-27