Postdoctoral Researcher Talent in the Region (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Spatial Sciences
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of approximately 100 members of staff, 100 PhD students and around 1000 undergraduate students. We focus on high quality teaching and research in the fields of human and economic geography, demography, and spatial planning. With our shared research theme 'towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation' (tWIST), it is our mission to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two bachelor and eight master programmes, we provide a wide range of courses within the fields of geography and spatial sciences.
The Department of Economic Geography offers a vibrant academic environment with an international staff and extensive experience in working within international research projects. In terms of teaching, the Department of Economic Geography contributes to the bachelor Human Geography and Planning and is responsible for the master Economic Geography, including the track 'Regional Competitiveness and Trade' and the master of Real Estate Studies. Our research is directed towards issues related to regional labour markets, migration, entrepreneurship, happiness, socio-spatial inequalities and real estate applying both quantitative, qualitative and mixed research methods.
The Department of Economic Geography of the Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (RUG) is looking for a postdoctoral researcher on the topic of regional labour market dynamics with a focus on career and talent development. The position is part of the ‘Talent in the Region’ project which is a large, four-year research project which aims to further talent development in the province of Groningen.
The postdoctoral researcher will be the main researcher for the department in the Talent in the Region research programme. As a postdoctoral researcher, your job will be to contribute to the Talent in the Region project in collaboration with and under the supervision of Dr. Sierdjan Koster. Next to working within the Talent in the Region project, the postdoctoral researcher is expected to lead and support in the development of peer-review articles in international journals with colleagues within the Faculty of Spatial Sciences and other project partners.
Central tasks include:
- the development of a system for monitoring talent in the north of the Netherlands by using microdata from Statistics Netherlands
- analysing results in terms of recruiting, educating, developing and tying talent in the region
- identify, analyse and contribute to policy relevant topics like Life Long Developing, education and labour market connections, regional career paths etc.
- conduct research activities including: literature analysis, policy analysis, stakeholder interviews, surveys, focus-groups
- instigate and report study results in international academic outlets as well as to audiences consisting of regional administrators, policy advisors, entrepreneurs etc.
The postdoctoral researcher will also be involved in the supervision of PhD candidates and she/he is encouraged to pursue publishing and attracting research funding beyond the involvement in Talent in the Region. In short, we try and accommodate the development of your own line of research.
We look for a candidate with:
• a PhD degree (or nearly finished) in the field of economic geography, regional science, applied economics, sociology or in another social science showing a clear affinity to labour market research and the analysis of spatial problems with proven experience with quantitative research methods
• publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals that testify of your interest and contribution to the topic of regional labour market dynamics
• proven skills in quantitative research methods
• a network of relevant academic connections related to the topic of Regional Labour Market Dynamics, for example in the field of economic geography, regional science, labour economics, and/or labour (market) sociology
• the skills to present academic analyses to varied audiences including labour market professionals and policy makers; also, you are comfortable building and maintaining a professional network to regional policy makers who are affiliated or relevant to the research that you are performing
• the willingness to share ideas with, give energy to and invest in colleagues and students
• a fluency in English (reading, writing, speaking) and a good command of Dutch or a clear plan to learn Dutch to be able to communicate with stakeholders in the project.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 2,790 to a maximum of € 4,402 gross per month (salary scale 10) for a full-time position
• excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees
• an appointment for a period of 1 year with the prospect of an extension of another 3 years after a positive evaluation after one year. The position is for 1.0 FTE, but 0.8 FTE is also possible.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
We aim at a start date of 1 September 2021.
You can apply for this position until Tuesday 18 May 2021, 11:59pm / before 19 May 2021, 12:00 pm Dutch local time (CET), Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Please merge all your application documents in one single PDF file under the Letter of Motivation attachment.
The following documents should be included:
- a letter of motivation
- a curriculum vitae (including date and place of birth, full list of publications and other research activities and output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas, the names of two academic referees)
- if the PhD defense will be after the application, please send information on the defense date or a confirmation from your PhD adviser on the expected defense date
- one sample writing.
The job interviews will take place on Tuesday 1 June 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr. Sierdjan Koster
Prof.dr. Jouke van Dijk
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221252