Scientific Coordinator/ Management Assistant GELIFES (0.6 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 35,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global center of knowledge.
The Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES), the second largest institute of the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) with 80 permanent and 200 temporary employees and an annual turnover of approximate 15 million euros, fills a special niche in the life sciences by covering and integrating mechanistic, evolutionary and ecological approaches, aiming to understand adaptation on all levels of biological organization. Researchers pursue fundamental questions while collaborating with partners from nature conservation, industry, medicine and other realms of society. Our research fields include ecology, conservation biology, evolutionary biology, behavioral biology, chronobiology, genetics and genomics, neurobiology, physiology and theoretical modelling, using a wide array of research tools. Research levels range from molecular and organismal to populations and ecosystems, performed under laboratory, semi-natural and field conditions.
The GELIFES institute is one of the few research institutes in the Netherlands that offers complete all round biological training to Bachelor and Master students, at the PhD level is actively involved in a number of national research schools, and is world-leading in a number of disciplines (e.g. Behavioral Biology and Migration Ecology)
The scientific coordinator / management assistant will answer to and support the GELIFES director, support the GELIFES board and will be a member of the GELIFES support office and as such will maintain close communication with the other office members, including the funding officer, business coordinator, data steward, PhD coordinator and office secretary. The scientific coordinator will further liaise with the FSE board, FSE staff bureau, colleagues at other staff services, maintain close contact with scientific coordinators at sister institutions and generally communicate with all scientific, societal and professional relations of the GELIFES institute, both regional, national and international.
The Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES) at the University of Groningen has a vacancy for a Scientific Coordinator / Management Assistant.
The scientific coordinator / management assistant will:
• Support the scientific director and institute board in development, preparation and in particular implementation and follow-up of scientific programs and (new) institute policies;
• Support the director in internal and external communication (communication with staff, writing and editing documents, presentations);
• Prepare topics and documents for and attend biweekly board meetings as well as monthly staff meetings;
• Contribute to a better profiling of GELIFES and stimulate partnerships in large consortia (EU, NWA, NWO Gravitation program; with the funding officer);
• Coordinate and organize peer reviews and self-evaluations (preparation SEP evaluation criteria, writing management paragraphs of the research institute, SWOT analyses, preparation for biannual meetings with Faculty Board, etc.);
• Maintain management information and report on the GELIFES embedded faculty theme ‘Adaptive Life’;
• Further initiate and maintain (inter)national contacts for research collaborations (with the funding officer);
• Represent GELIFES where needed in various university/faculty platforms and committees;
• Coordinate administrative steps regarding hiring of new scientific staff (with the PhD coordinator).
We encourage candidates who fulfill (most of) the following conditions to apply:
• hold a PhD degree in biology or closely related field;
• have an affinity with both research and management and experience in a management related position;
• have a broad overview of the field and the ability to connect research activities to practical and funding challenges faced in the field of biology;
• preferably has a wide, relevant national and international network;
• have the ability to effectively operate within complex networks, can be a binding factor with a keen eye for administrative relationships and varying interests;
• have a flexible, pragmatic and pro-active attitude, is result driven and quality conscious;
• is a collegial staff member with excellent communication skills, both in spoken and written Dutch and English.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3.746 to a maximum of € 5.127 (scale 11) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• an appointment for 1 year, with the perspective of prolongation after evaluation of performance and economic factors within the faculty.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
The application should contain:
· a letter of motivation;
· a curriculum vitae with a detailed description of experience and expertise;
· the names, email addresses and phone numbers of three referees.
You can submit your application until 16 May 11:59pm / before 17 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The application interviews are scheduled for second half of May 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. dr. R.S. Etienne
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221243