TT Assistant Professor (education profile) in Bioinformatics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as biology, mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy, life sciences and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES). GELIFES aims to enhance the understanding of adaptive processes and the maladaptive consequences of their limitations, across all levels of biological organization (from molecules and genes to individuals and ecosystems), to inform the society and contribute solutions to societal problems. GELIFES specifically aims at the integration of mechanistic, evolutionary and ecological approaches. The institute is coordinating one of the four Faculty strategic themes called Adaptive Life. The institute further has tight connections with the Faculty of Medical Sciences (FMS) and University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG).
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in bioinformatics, particularly applied to the field of ecology and evolution.
Recent methodological advances are allowing scientists to collect large amounts of omics data from a broad range of biological systems. The result is the generation of large and complex data sets that can only be understood and fully explored through software development and bioinformatic approaches. At GELIFES we study evolutionary and ecological aspects in a wide variety of organisms spanning from viruses to whales in marine and terrestrial ecosystems, and at across multiple organizational levels; molecular, cellular, individual, populations and communities as well as entire ecosystems. General topics addressed in GELIFES are: microbiome interactions (amplicon sequencing, metagenomics, meta-transcriptomics) in soils or in association with hosts (plants, birds, insects, rodents and humans); genome evolution; insect immune responses; genomics of sex determination, population; ecological and evolutionary genomics. Part of this research is based on large molecular data sets, from which the biological interpretation requires the use of bioinformatic approaches. Given the broad and integrative nature of the research conducted in GELIFES we seek a bioinformatician with a strong ecological or evolutionary background.
The research and teaching program should focus on the application and development of bioinformatic tools for 'omics data’, for instance, by developing bioinformatic pipelines or retrieving data retrieval from public databases (e.g., NCBI-SRA, Genome, Ensembl, 1000G projects) for 'omics analyses (e.g., epigenomics, comparative genomics, virome, microbiome, transcriptome). The candidate should be familiar with UNIX-based systems and be highly experienced in scripting (i.e., Python, Shell, Perl, Awk, and R) as well as programming (e.g., rust, C/C++ and Java). Experience with big data analyses, visualisation of high dimensional data or background in Machine learning would be considered a strong plus.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
• teach in the degree programs BSc and MSc Biology, BSc Life Science & Technology, MSc Ecology and Evolution and possibly the MSc Marine Biology
• play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the program level
• contribute to current research lines in the GELIFES institute and/or your develop your own research line
• contribute to the supervision of Master and PhD students in the research group you will be embedded in
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a passion for teaching and education development
• demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
• a PhD degree in Biology or a related field (specialized in ecological and evolutionary research), obtained at most 8 years ago (at the time of appointment)
• a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD
• a relevant international network and preferably international experience
• demonstrable organizational competences
• good command of spoken and written English
And you are:
• if not yet in possession, willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
• able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
• a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,746 up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time position
● a starting package of € 40k to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of at least two references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes (max 2 pages A4)
● a description of your scientific interest and plans (max 2 pages A4)
You can submit your application until 16 May 11:59pm / before 17 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place on Tuesday the 8th of June 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J.T.M. Elzenga, Education Director
+31 6 20737146
Prof. J. Falcao Salles, Professor Microbial Community Ecology
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221194
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail Assessment procedure and criteria More information about the research institute More information about the employment conditions of the University