Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Accounting (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
Since its founding in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. We encourage the 35.000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Among the best research universities in Europe, we join forces with prestigious partner universities and networks around the world, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Faculty of Economics and Business
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB - https://www.rug.nl/feb/organization/) is a research focused, international faculty which consistently ranks high in international business rankings. FEB offers an inspiring international academic community for students, staff, alumni and external organisations.
The mission of FEB is to prepare students for a career in research or a leading position in the corporate or public sector through high-quality, research-based degree programmes in the fields of economics and business; to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in these fields by conducting high quality research; and to provide a stimulating and international environment for both staff and students.
Department of Accounting
The department of Accounting (https://www.rug.nl/feb/organization/departments/accounting/) is a medium-sized group of around 35 academics coming from a variety of countries. We are active in areas like auditing, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, financial accounting and reporting, management accounting and control, tax and corporate law.
We teach on accounting and control in several bachelor programmes as well as in the master programmes Business Administration and Accountancy and Controlling. We also have a footing in executive master programmes, like the Executive Master of Finance and Control. Besides, the department participates in the Research Master programme, a challenging 2-year master programme intended for students aiming at a PhD.
Our research is concentrated in the SOM Research School (https://www.rug.nl/research/som-ri/). Within SOM, we conduct high-quality research and highly value multidisciplinarity. Currently, we are part of the I&O research programme (https://www.rug.nl/research/io/), but are in the process of establishing our own research programme in accounting and control. We aim to publish our results in premier, peer-reviewed international journals and have published in journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Accounting, Auditing, and Accountability Journal, Accounting, Organizations, and Society, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Management, Management Accounting Research, and Strategic Management Journal. We also reach out to the business community by communicating our research findings in executive programmes and professional journals.
To strengthen our research and teaching in accounting and control, we are seeking a tenure-track assistant professor. The assistant professor will be located within the department of Accounting (Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Groningen, The Netherlands). Candidates with research and teaching interests in all areas of accounting and control (i.e., corporate governance, financial accounting and reporting, and management accounting and control) are invited to apply.
As an assistant professor, you are expected to contribute to:
• a multi-disciplinary, high-performing research group, and to be a member of the team
• research within the area of accounting and control, with the aim to publish your work in premier, peer-reviewed international journals
• teach in accounting and control across several bachelor and master programmes
• a positive climate within the department and faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research, and/or management
• engage in setting up collaborations with other departments both within and outside of the Faculty of Economics and Business.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• developed enthusiasm for both research and teaching in accounting and control
• a PhD in accounting or a closely related field (or expect to complete one soon)
• the ability or potential to publish preferably in premier, peer-reviewed international journals
• a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
• a relevant international academic network
• well-developed organisational qualities and excellent communication skills
• good interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully work in a team.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.Within the department of Accounting, a full-time position is vacant for a tenure track assistant professor. The vacancy comprises a full-time position, but an 80% or 90% appointment is possible as well, based on the preferences of the candidate.
Tenure track positions are temporary positions and are subject to a tenure decision at the end of the contract. Formal tenure track requirements include criteria concerning research prominence, teaching, and external fundraising activities. During the tenure track period, 50% of the position is reserved for research and 50% is devoted to teaching activities. More information on FEB’s tenure track policy can be found here: https://www.rug.nl/feb/organization/work-with-us/job-opprtunities/
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch universities, we offer:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience, starting from a minimum of € 3,746 gross per month (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,826 gross per month (salary scale 12) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus, as well as participation in a solid state pension scheme. Non-Dutch applicants may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. A full-time position entitles you to 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
• initially an appointment for seven years, on the condition of a positive mid-term evaluation at the end of the third year of employment. Based on a positive final evaluation at the beginning of the sixth year at the latest, tenure will be granted. Tenure entails a permanent contract and promotion to the rank of associate professor. The seventh year is intended to compensate for any ‘life events’ (e.g., prolonged illness or parental leave) which might take place during the first six years. The tenure track system 2020 applies.
Starting date is negotiable but preferably around 1 September 2021.
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a motivation letter
• an up-to-date curriculum vitae
• a short statement of your research accomplishments and future research goals
• two recent (working) papers
• the names and contact details of two references.
You can submit your application until 9 May 11:59pm / before 10 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) through the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and the European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Reggy Hooghiemstra, Head of the department of Accounting
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221182