Assistant Professor in Computational Humanities (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Arts is built on a long-standing tradition of four centuries. Our mission is to be a top-ranking faculty with both an excellent education and world-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of the Netherlands. We build and share knowledge that benefits society. We are a modern, broad and international institution, educating over 5,000 Dutch and international students to become forward-looking, articulate and independent academics, with a team of hardworking and diverse group of 700 staff members.
What will you be working on?
You are expected to teach bachelor and master courses in the area of Digital Humanities and Computer Communication. This also includes supervision of bachelor and master theses. You will also develop new courses in your specialist topic to strengthen the current departmental curriculum. The emphasis of these courses is on computational skills (basic programming Python, using tools, methodology, and evaluation) applied to digital humanities or computer-mediated communication. You will be a member of the of the University of Groningen (CLCG), which is the institutional home of all language-related research carried out within the Faculty of Arts.
We offer you a position with 60% of your time for teaching (including administration) and 40% for research.
● you have a PhD related to computational linguistics, digital humanities, computer-mediated communication, multi-modal communication, human-computer interaction, or conversational interfaces
● you have teaching experience and are expected to acquire relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, Basic Education qualification)
● you have the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
● you are keen on conducting high quality research, actively engaging with the national and international research network, seeking external funding, and participating in the group’s activities
● you like to work both independently and in a multidisciplinary team producing high quality work
● you are willing to acquire knowledge of Dutch (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking is one of the conditions for tenure).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,746 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,826 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• participation in a pension scheme for employees.
Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants and to Dutch nationals who have lived abroad for a long period of time. We offer 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full-time employment. The faculty will facilitate you with obtaining the requested qualifications for teaching and the Dutch language within two years.
The new appointee will ideally start on 1 August or 1 September 2021 at the latest. The appointment will be on a temporary basis for five years with the outlook to a permanent contract if you meet the criteria.
We comply with the conditions of employment of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (cao NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
You may apply for this position until 9 May 11:59 / before 10 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on the "Apply" button below on the advertisement on the university website).
You can fill in the form and upload four PDF files (all in English):
1) a letter of motivation
2) your CV including your education and work experience, evidence of your involvement in the international research community, evidence of teaching experience, a list of publications, and the names and contact details of two referees
3) a one-page description of research interests and teaching vision. You can upload this under “extra” document” on the website
4) one publication of which you are the main author. You can upload this under “extra” document” on the website.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Johan Bos
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221174