PhD position Privacy-Aware Control and Optimization (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The candidate will be embedded at the Engineering Technology Institute of the University of Groningen (ENTEG). ENTEG research is highly multidisciplinary in nature and focuses on both fundamental and applied research. The candidate will be a member of the Jan C. Willems Center for Systems and Control which is recognised for its long tradition in mathematical systems theory and its strength in linear/nonlinear systems analysis and control of complex networks. According to the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2020, Automation and Control Engineering at the University of Groningen is ranked 3rd in Europe and 16th worldwide.
A PhD position financed by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) is available at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands. The aim of the project is to develop privacy-aware control and optimisation algorithms for cyber-physical systems, and to address the privacy concerns raised by collecting data and communication in those algorithms. The focus of this research is on streaming data, particularly data generated by dynamical systems, rather than static databases.
An overseas (3-6 months) research visit of a top academic institution is envisioned in the PhD programme.
Apart from the research project, the candidate is expected to contribute (~10% of total workload) to the teaching and supervision of bachelor and master students.
We are looking for candidates with a strong mathematical background and a master degree in Control Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
Good verbal and written communication skills in English are mandatory.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.We offer you, following the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a full-time position (1.0 FTE) for 4 years
• a salary of € 2,395 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 3,061 gross per month in the fourth and final year.
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a position for four years; first, you will get a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years; prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that successful completion of the PhD thesis within the contract period is to be expected.
Are you interested in this position and meet the qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• a statement of motivation, listing down relevant research experience (max. 1 page)
• curriculum vitae
• transcripts from your bachelor’s and master’s degree
• any other relevant documents (e.g., awards, publications, language skills/certification).
You can submit your application until 2 May 11:59pm / before 3 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Nima Monshizadeh
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221166