Head of the Department of Student Information and Administration (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Office of the University
University of Groningen
Student Information and Administration department
The SIA department plays a central role in the UG’s chain of procedures involving registration, acceptance and enrolment and in issues involving mobility and immigration. This way, the department contributes to the University’s strategic plan. Students, staff and faculties are optimally supported by the SIA regarding these issues. This requires professional organization and clear procedures. The department is made up of several components and these are under the direction of coordinators.
After an audit, an improvement track has been set up after the past two years, which both the University as a whole and the department will see the effects of. The new head of SIA will be expected to further develop this improvement track in contact with staff from the SIA department and the faculties, represented by an Advisory Board, among others.
Looking for a new challenge?
A management position has become available at the complex and varied administrative department of Student Information and Administration (SIA). The department falls within the Office of the University and is the responsibility of the policy director of Finance & Control. The current manager has accepted a different position at the UG but, until 1 September 2021, shall continue to be available for one day per week to ensure a smooth transition.
● You will lead the SIA department (> 55 FTE) and will be responsible for the organizational and personal direction of the department. You will be responsible for the optimal deployment of the department’s staff and resources. You will coach and support the staff in mutual consultation with the coordinators.
● You will carry the vision of our organization, involve the department in the realization of the department’s goals and translate this into mutual consultation with the coordinators into realistic results, which will be included in the annual plan.
● You will fulfil an active role in the ongoing improvement track and create new proposals for improvement from a personal vision.
● You will be responsible for policy development and implementation within the department and you will advise the Office Management and the Board of the University on the strategic policy.
● You will be the face of the department and actively maintain various contacts, both internal and external. An example includes the representation of the UG in national forums (such as Studielink, the HO-Ketenoverleg (higher education chain meeting) and the national CSA meeting).
● You, along with the coordinators, will be responsible for the quality assurance of processes in the various administrative systems, thus safeguarding the PDCA cycle in order to realize continual improvement.
● Within the set framework, you will be responsible for the finances of the SIA department and for the financial settlement of various projects.
● the ability to think and work at a university of applied sciences or academic level.
● at least three years of work experience as a manager of a process-oriented team Having experience with complex teaching processes is an advantage
● a focus on both results and people
● a sharp analytical mind and problem-solving ability
● affinity with IT/automation
● a proactive and innovative attitude
● strategic advisory skills and persuasive power
● excellent communication skills in both written and spoken Dutch and English (C1 level).
In addition, you should possess the following competences: uniting leadership, an analytical ability, result-driven management, the ability to switch gears, social awareness and a feeling for administrative relationships.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary based on qualifications and experience of between € 4,406 and € 5,656 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• an appointment for a period of one year, with the prospect of appointment for an indefinite period in the event of proven suitability.
Date of entry into employment: as soon as possible
The Office of the University currently finds itself in a process of organizational change know as ‘The New Office’. This change may also have possible consequences for the SIA department and for this position. Naturally, there is a lot of focus and room for the participation of staff members in this process.
You can apply by submitting a letter of application and curriculum vitae until 25 April 11:59 pm / before 26 April 2021 Dutch local time. Only submissions via the application form will be considered.
Job interviews will take place in the week of May 10th.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Mr S.R.J. van der Tol QC, Policy Director of Finance & Control
+31 50 3633484
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221134E