Temporary teacher Statistics/Stochastics for (Applied) Mathematics programme
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provide respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6.000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a teaching position in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes in (Applied) Mathematics. The teaching staff of these programmes is mostly associated with the Department of Mathematics of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computing Science and Artificial Intelligence. In these programmes, teaching is in English, promoting an international setting and has a focus on research-driven teaching.
The didactic structure of the stochastics and statistics education is a hybrid of lecturing, tutorials and projects. New didactic concepts such as learning communities are being implemented.
We are searching for an enthusiastic teachers with a good track record in statistics and/or stochastics education. The candidate is expected to teach within the Bachelor’s degree programme in (Applied) Mathematics and/or to provide statistics education within other degree programmes of the Faculty of Science and Engineering. A full list of the courses, including more information on their content, can be found in the university’s on-line course catalogue (https://www.rug.nl/ocasys/).
As a Teacher, your duties will include:
• give lectures and tutorials;
• prepare and supervise projects;
• contribute to the learning communities;
• supervise and guide Teaching Assistants.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a Master’s or PhD degree in (Applied) Mathematics or Statistics/Stochastics;
• experience in teaching Statistics at the University level (appropriate to your career stage, at least as Teaching Assistant);
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, projects, group work, etc.) is an asset;
• proficiency in English at the C2 level;
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills;
• willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 2,790 up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 10 or 11 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on level of experience) for a full-time position
• in addition to the salary a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for one year, with possibility of extension for one more year, depending on the developments within the organization and a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• for this position, the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 3 or 4, depending on experience and qualifications.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience.
You can submit your application until 20 April 2021 11:59pm Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
The selection interviews will take place on Monday 26 April 2021.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. R.W.C.P. Verstappen
+31 50 3633958
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220461-62H
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:About us