Lecturer in minority and diversity studies (0.6 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Arts is built on a long-standing tradition of four centuries. Our mission is to be a top-ranking faculty with both an excellent education and world-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of the Netherlands. We build and share knowledge benefits to society. We work at a modern, broad and international institution, educating over 5.000 Dutch and international students to become forward-looking, articulate and independent academics. We are a team of hardworking and diverse group of 700 staff members.
Where will you be working on?
You will further develop, prepare, oversee and teach existing courses on minority and diversity issues, both in a broad sense and specifically on intersectionality, including research methodology courses (both quantitative and qualitative). You will supervise research by our undergraduate and graduate students. You will develop and implement new ideas in education. You will work with other colleagues within the programmes of Minorities & Multilingualism (BA) and Multilingualism (MA). Collaboration with other programmes within the faculty is a possibility.
We offer you a position of 0.6 FTE for teaching (including administration). You will be part of a young, enthusiastic team of international lecturers and researchers from a diverse range of disciplines, working on issues related to minorities and multilingualism, with a special focus on diversity in education.
• you have a PhD in the human sciences (e.g. sociology, political science, educational science), with a proven interest in interdisciplinary collaboration
• you have participated in research projects on minority issues
• you combine knowledge of minority issues with a strong quantitative research background
• you have teaching experience and relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs/UTQ – University Teaching Qualification)
• you have experience in designing new courses at the university level, with an emphasis on learner-centered education. Experience with online teaching is considered a plus
• you like to work both independently and in a (virtual) multidisciplinary team
• your strengths are organising, entrepreneurship and communication, meeting deadlines
• you have the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
• an affinity with Frisian language and culture, or a willingness to engage with issues related to Frisian language and culture are considered a plus
• knowledge of Dutch or willingness to learn it within a reasonable period of time.
Contractduur: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 2,790 to a maximum of € 4,402 (salary scale 10) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• participation in a pension scheme for employees
• favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. We offer 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full-time employment
• an appointment on a temporary basis for 2 years.
The appointee will ideally commence as soon as possible.
Your appointment will be on a temporary basis for 2 years.
You may apply for this position until 28 February 11:59pm / before 1 March 2021 Dutch local times by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You can fill in the form and upload 3 PDF files (all in English):
1. a letter of motivation
2. a CV with a list of courses taught; a complete list of publications and the names and contact details of three referees
3. a statement about teaching goals and experience, with a special chapter about how your teaching is research-driven (maximum two pages in total). You can upload this under” extra document” on the website.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place in March 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Voor meer informatie over deze vacature kunt u contact opnemen met:
Dr Sjoerd-Jeroen Moenandar
Noemt u in uw sollicitatie altijd het vacaturenummer 221102
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:More detailed information about working conditions and working for the UG