Assistant Professor Sustainable Tourism (0.8 FTE)
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research. We conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues. Technology and data related issues represent a fast-growing and cross-cutting aspect of our research and education. You will work at a state-of-the-art facility at one of the oldest and most prestigious European universities. The Campus’ motivated team values teamwork and provides a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with room for individual initiative. We challenge our staff and students to approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a different view. We are curious about yours!
RUG/CF invites applications for a motivated colleague at the level of Assistant Professor in the field of Sustainable Tourism. The assistant professor will help develop the Sustainable Tourism component of the MSc in Cultural Geography and contribute with their research to the sustainable development of tourism both at local and global level.
In particular, you are expected to contribute to the development of the educational and research domain of Sustainable Tourism, specifically with regard to interdisciplinary approaches integrating geographical and governance research to assess the connections between people and places in the context of sustainable tourism.
You will have the unique opportunity to combine education with research and shape emerging research and educational activities. Finally, we are highly committed to building a culturally diverse and dynamic academic community in Leeuwarden, and we expect a similar commitment from all our academic staff.
The candidate will:
• teach in and contribute to the development of the MSc Cultural Geography, with a focus on sustainable tourism
• teach qualitative or quantitative research methods at undergraduate level
• further develop individual research lines in the field of on sustainable tourism
• acquire funding for new research activities and actively look for (international) partners to build consortia
• be involved in (Master’s-level) thesis supervision
• co-supervise PhD students
• contribute to the organisation of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching and research
• promote the societal relevance of research.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with demonstrated research and teaching potential and a strong research background, with proven affinity for interdisciplinary approaches. Research expertise that involves human geography, sustainable tourism, and/or qualitative research especially suited to studying sustainable tourism development.
The ideal candidate has:
• a completed PhD in human geography, sustainable tourism or related field (additional postdoctoral experience is a plus)
• a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
• excellent research qualities, as reflected in an established record of publications in leading international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• experience with qualitative and field research
• affinity with interdisciplinary research and teaching, and with working with non-academic partners, a relevant international network and cross-cultural sensitivity
• a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO), or the willingness to acquire this qualification within three years after the starting date
• willingness to take up residence within a reasonable distance of the city of Leeuwarden.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary appropriate to the level of appointment from a minimum of € 3,746 to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end allowance.
The appointment will be made for an Assistant Professor position (Dutch: UD). As an Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is allocated for teaching, and 40% for research activities. The opening is for 0.8 FTE for 24 months, with possible extension based on performance and size of the student body.
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• a curriculum vitae including a list of publications and other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
• a statement on teaching, detailing courses taught or developed
• email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The starting date for this position is 1 July / 1 August 2021
You can submit your application until 18 March 11:59pm / before 19 March 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews will take place in the first week of April 2021. The interview will consist of two parts: the interview (30 minutes) and a mock lecture (15 minutes) during which you will demonstrate your knowledge of the research domain and showcase your teaching capabilities.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, female candidates and candidates with a non-European background are particularly encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. C.F. (Caspar) van den Berg
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221101