Assistant Professor Political Science (1.0 FTE)
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research. We conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues, with a focus on four research flagships: 1) Governance 2) Sustainable Economy, 3) Language, Culture & Technology, 4) Food & Health. Technology related issues represent a fast-growing aspect of our research and education. You will work at a state-of-the-art facility at one of the oldest and most prestigious European universities, in the European Capital of Culture 2018. Our motivated team values teamwork and provides a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with room for individual initiative. You will become a member of our high-standing academic and international community. We challenge our staff and students to approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a different view. We are curious about yours!
Within Campus Fryslân, you will primarily be working at the University College Fryslân (UCF). UCF is a new university college, inspired by the UN Agenda for Sustainable Development. UCF offers a BSc in Global Responsibility & Leadership. This Bachelor is a broad, scientifically rigorous, interdisciplinary programme with three Majors (Responsible Governance, Responsible Humanity, and Responsible Planet). The programme has a strong emphasis on digital skills and leadership development. Through small-scale and intensive education, you work together with ambitious student-researchers to help them acquire the knowledge and skills that are necessary to design solutions for global challenges and become change agents for sustainable development.
University College Fryslân (UCF) invites applications for a motivated colleague at the level of Assistant Professor in the field of Political Science. You are expected to contribute to the development of the educational and research domain of political theory and governance, with a specialisation in public policy and governance for sustainable development. You will teach and develop courses in the Major Responsible Governance within the BSc Global Responsibility & Leadership as well as the Master Sustainable Entrepreneurship. You will have the unique opportunity to combine teaching with research and shape the emerging research programme. Finally, we are highly committed to building a diverse and dynamic academic community in Leeuwarden, and we expect a similar commitment from all our academic staff.
The candidate will:
● support the development of the Major “Responsible Governance”, and teach course in international politics, political theory, and public policy
● conduct research independently as well as together with student-researchers in your own domain of research as part of the UCF curriculum in so-called Living Lab projects
● contribute to the existing research lines, including your own research projects and the guidance of research conducted by bachelor, master and PhD students
● acquire funding for new research activities and actively look for (international) partners to build consortia and networks
● participate in teaching-related activities supporting the faculty, such as recruitment, committees and outreach.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with demonstrated research and teaching potential, a strong empirical research background, and relevant expertise in governance or public policy with a focus on sustainable development.
The ideal candidate has:
● a PhD in Political Science, International Relations, Public Administration, Policy Sciences, Environmental or Sustainability Governance, Development Studies, or a comparable domain
● the demonstrated capacity to deliver research outcomes which are of interest both to science and to society
● the ability to conduct academic research as demonstrated by relevant publications in books, conference proceedings or scientific journals
● a demonstrated capacity for teaching and course development at university level
● the willingness to apply an inter- and transdisciplinary perspective to research an education
● the capacity to teach bachelor students in small-scale settings and conduct research together with them in Living Lab settings in your own area of expertise
● an international and proactive outlook fitting to a new and dynamic organisation
● excellent command of the English language, including good communication skills; Dutch language abilities or willingness to learn Dutch would be an asset
● a University Teaching Qualification, or the willingness to acquire this qualification within two years after the starting date.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary appropriate to the level of appointment from a minimum of € 3,746 to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus.
The appointment will be made for an Assistant Professor position (Dutch: UD). As an Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is allocated for teaching, and 40% for research activities. The opening is for 1.0 FTE for 24 months, with possible extension based on performance and size of the student body.
The starting date for this position is 1 July or 1 August 2021.
Applications should include:
• a letter of motivation
• a curriculum vitae including a list of publications and other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
• a statement on teaching, detailing courses taught or developed
• email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The interview will consist of two parts: the interview (30 minutes) and the mock lecture (15 minutes) during which you will demonstrate your knowledge of the research domain and showcase your teaching capabilities.
You can submit your application until 11 March 11:59pm / before 12 March 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Caspar van den Berg
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221097
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:University College Fryslân Campus Fryslân Living Lab projects