Molecular Research Technician Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 35,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
The Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES), the largest institute of the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE), fills a special niche in the life sciences by covering and integrating mechanistic, evolutionary and ecological approaches to study adaptation at all levels of biological organisation. Researchers pursue fundamental questions while collaborating with partners from nature conservation, industry, medicine and other realms of society. Our research fields include ecology, conservation biology, evolutionary biology, behavioural biology, chronobiology, genetics and genomics, neurobiology, physiology and theoretical modelling, using a wide array of research tools. Study systems range from molecular and organismal levels to populations and ecosystems, under laboratory, semi-natural and field conditions.
The Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES) at the University of Groningen has a vacancy for a Molecular Research Technician.
The molecular research technician will mainly work for two GELIFES-expertise groups: 1) the Neurobiology expertise group, which studies how brain circuits and (associated) genetic, cellular and molecular mechanisms drive complex behaviours and 2) the Evolutionary Genetics, Development & Behaviour (EGDB) expertise group which studies the proximate causes and ecological and evolutionary consequences of phenotypic diversity.
The position involves support for research projects and management of central molecular (ML1) and cell biology (ML2) laboratories. As a technician in molecular biology, you are responsible for the setup, optimisation, performance and evaluation of methods and techniques in molecular biology/genetics and in cell biology. Experience with cell- and tissue culturing, transfection methods and microscopy techniques is a plus. Lab management tasks include laboratory maintenance, ordering of lab supplies and safety/waste management. You will be involved in teaching, training and support of researchers and students.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and independent co-worker who enjoys laboratory work, equipment maintenance, lab management, training and support of students and researchers, as well as implementation and optimisation of new molecular techniques.
• a hbo degree in biology or relevant related field (e.g. molecular biology)
• at least one year working experience in a molecular biology laboratory
• demonstrated ability to execute working tasks efficiently and with rigour
• demonstrated ability to independently acquire and implement novel molecular protocols and perform troubleshooting
• proficiency in standard productivity software, such as Microsoft Office, basic genetic software (e.g. sequencing visualisation and microsatellite genotyping) as well as database entry and management
• experience with student training and supervision in the lab
• good communication skills and a strong command of both written and spoken English.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience minimally € 2,329 gross per month up to a maximum of € 3,144 (salary scale 7) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an employment contract of 1.0 FTE for an indefinite period of time is possible. This depends on developments in the organisation and on the way in which you fulfill your position.
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a letter of motivation
• a curriculum vitae with a detailed description of experience and expertise
• the names, email addresses and phone numbers of three referees.
You can submit your application until 11 April 11:59pm / before 12 April 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. R. Hut
+31 6 13914389
Prof. M. Maan
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221040