PhD position Muslim Interreligious Encounters in the Pre-Modern Mediterranean
Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 33,500 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge. The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies is an ambitious faculty with a dynamic and accomplished staff drawn from around the world (58% international), and a Graduate School with 60 PhD students.
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies offers a four year position to complete a PhD in Theology and Religious Studies. The PhD student will be enrolled in our Graduate School. The proposed dissertation project should complement the research profile of dr. Mònica Colominas Aparicio, who will be the supervisor. https://www.rug.nl/staff/m.colominas.aparicio/research
The position will be based in the Department of Christianity and the History of Ideas, which has expanded to consider also the intellectual history of Islam in the Mediterranean, with a focus on interreligious encounters. Other Department staff are engaged in the study of the history of Christianity from the Middle Ages to the present, the philosophy of religion, as well as religion in heritage, international relations, and popular culture, see https://www.rug.nl/research/centre-for-religious-studies/christianity-philosophy-culture/
The PhD candidate is expected:
• to have a thorough training in research skills
• to be fluent in English (both oral and written) and be able to carry out research in one or more languages (such as Arabic and Spanish)
• to be able and willing to work in an interdisciplinary environment
• to be able to finish the PhD thesis in four years
• to enjoy planning, taking initiative, and academic writing, and
• to have the desire to publish.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.We offer in accordance with the Collective Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary of € 2,395 in the first year to a maximum of € 3,061 gross per month in the final year (PhD salary scale), based on a full-time position
● a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a fulltime (1.0 FTE) position of four years. First you will be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate whether a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the contract period is to be expected. A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of the Faculty.
The conditions of employment are available at the University of Groningen Website under Human Resources: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/
The preferred starting date is 1 February 2021
Do you meet our qualifications? If yes, your application should include (please merge all documents into one PDF file):
• a brief letter of motivation
• Curriculum Vitae and a sketch of your intellectual history (c. 600 words), indicating the factors that have brought you to your present focus of intellectual and scholarly interests and what you hope to learn from doctoral study at our School
• two reference letters
• English language competence (proven through submitting samples of one’s own writing or TOEFL/IELTS test)
• a writing sample of no more than 5000 words, such as an essay or part of a master’s thesis
• a research project proposal (no more than four pages, c. 2000 words) which should address the following issues: (a) state of the art, (b) main research question, key objectives, and relevance, (c) the proposed (methodological) approach, (d) an estimate of expenses that should be expected to exceed the usual costs of travel, conference visits etc. (for example, microfilms, extended stay abroad, etc.); Please note: acceptance of a PhD proposal does not imply that research costs are covered by the RUG; and (e) the proposed timetable for the writing of your thesis (if your project is interdisciplinary, please also list potential co-supervisor[s])
• certified official transcripts of your academic degrees.
Official documents must be in the English, Spanish, French or Dutch language. Any translation of originals not in these languages must be authenticated.
You may apply for this position until 1 December 23:59h / 2 December 2020 00:00h Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Note that the procedure will include interviews. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview via online conferencing. Interviews are scheduled to take place on 16 December 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Mònica Colominas Aparicio
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220344