PhD position Networked and Distributed Systems on Network-centric Data Analytics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 32,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
Within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, a 4-years PhD position is available at the Distributed Systems Group of the University of Groningen in the Netherlands, with the topic of network-centric data analytics.
The PhD project will be strongly embedded in interdisciplinary and international research cooperation of the Distributed Systems Group. The research activities comprise a vast spectrum of basic research, system aspects up to industry cooperation towards data centric communications, e.g., as part of the research Cognitive Materials Center in Groningen or the Collaborative Research Center Multi-mechanism-adaptation of the Future Internet with research on novel communication mechanisms for the Internet of the Future.
This PhD project aims to contribute to the design and analysis of novel system mechanisms and algorithms for network-centric data analytics. In doing so, the PhD position will focus dependent on the candidates background in one of the following or related areas, such as
• software-defined networks and systems for real-time data analytics, e.g., building P4 programmable switches, hardware-accelerators, protocols for multipath communications, new materials enhancing networked systems
• distributed algorithms and systems for supporting data quality and QoS of distributed data analytics, e.g., blockchain-based coordination
• novel communication paradigms supporting the execution and distributed execution of data analytics, e,g., information-centric networking and serverless computing
• robustness and privacy of distributed data analytics, e.g., mechanisms building on blockchain-based coordination.
You will perform the following tasks:
- complete a PhD thesis within four years
- work on research contributions in form of high quality publications
- actively participate in the research activities and projects of the Distributed Systems Group
- assist the Distributed Systems Group in computer science education.
You should have/be:
• completed a master in the field of computer science or engineering
• very good English skills in writing and scientific discussion
• deep interest and strong skills in at least one of the following topics: distributed and networked systems, data science engineering, or material science
• motivated to contribute to high-quality research findings
• have the strong will to complete a PhD within four years
• keen interest to collaborate and interact with other researchers.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary of € 2,395 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 3,061 gross per month in the fourth and final year for a full-time position
● a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
● a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
● an 8.3% year-end bonus.
The position is offered for four years. The successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the contract period is to be expected. A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of the Faculty.
The application should include:
• a letter of motivation
• a CV (including contact information for at least two academic references)
• transcripts from your bachelor’s and master’s degree.
The applications can be submitted until 31 August 2020 23:59 h / before 1 September 2020 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications received before 1 September 2020 will be given full consideration; however, the position will remain open until it is filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Boris Koldehofe
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220258