Assistant Professor Economic Geography (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Spatial Sciences
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences of the University of Groningen is looking for an Assistant Professor in the field of Economic Geography. The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of approximately 100 members of staff, 100 PhD students and around 1000 undergraduate students. We focus on high quality teaching and research in the fields of social and economic geography, demography, and spatial planning. With a single collective research theme of 'towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation' (tWIST), it is our mission to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two bachelor and eight master programmes, we provide a wide range of courses within the fields of geography and spatial sciences.
The Department of Economic Geography of the Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (RUG) is looking for an Assistant Professor Economic Geography.
The Department offers a vibrant academic environment with an international staff and extensive experience in working within international research projects. In terms of teaching, the Department of Economic Geography contributes to the bachelor Human Geography and Planning and is responsible for the master Economic Geography, including the track 'Regional Competitiveness and Trade' and the master of Real Estate Studies. Our research is directed towards issues related to regional labour markets, migration, entrepreneurship, happiness, socio-spatial inequalities and real estate applying both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
As an Assistant Professor, you will contribute to teaching, research and co-ordination tasks. Your main teaching tasks will be in bachelor and master courses related to Economic Geography and Real Estate and in supervising master and/or bachelor theses. Other teaching tasks could be in methodology or other geography courses depending on your expertise. With regard to research, we seek someone with a profile that fits the research topics of the Department and the Faculty.
• a PhD (or nearly finished) in the wider field of economic geography, regional economics or in another social science with proven affinity with economic geography and/or real estate
• publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals in the field of economic geography, regional science and real estate
• experience in various teaching approaches; awareness of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching techniques
• possession of a university teaching qualification or preparedness to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• proven skills in qualitative, quantitative and/or mixed research methods
• network of connections in the field of economic geography, regional science and/or real estate, willingness to invest in external relations and participating in external projects, events and presentations, representing the Faculty and the Department
• willingness to share ideas with, give energy to and invest in colleagues and students
• is willing to participate in appropriate Faculty committees and/or other management tasks
• motivation to work in an interdisciplinary team that uses qualitative as well as quantitative methods
• is fluent in English and has knowledge of or is willing to learn Dutch (to at least CEFR B2 level – for reading and listening).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,637 to a maximum of € 4,978 (salary scale 11) gross per month for a full-time position
• on top of that income, you will receive an 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
• an appointment for a fixed period of 2 years.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
Starting date: as soon as possible
You may apply for this position until 24 May 11:59pm / before 25 May 2020 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications should include:
1. a letter of application
2. a curriculum vitae including publications or other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas, experience in teaching and management
3. the names of two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place on 4 June 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Jouke van Dijk
+31 6 10982523
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220168
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Faculty of Spatial Sciences Department of Economic Geography