Assistant Professor for Diversity and Minorities (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Arts is built on a long-standing tradition of four centuries. Our mission is to be a top-ranking faculty with both excellent education and world-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of the Netherlands. We build and share knowledge benefits to society. We work at a modern, broad and international institution, educating over 5000 Dutch and international students to become forward-looking, articulate and independent academics. We are a team of hardworking and diverse group of 700 staff members.
You will work in the research group Minorities and Multilingualism, associated to the Chair for Frisian Language and Culture. We are a dynamic and international team of researchers and lecturers. You will prepare, oversee, teach and evaluate courses on Minorities in a Multilingual context, with focus on the sociological and anthropological dimensions of Minority Studies. You will work in a multidisciplinary programme, cooperating with sociolinguists and those teaching cultural studies. You will teach and supervise our undergraduate and graduate students. You will develop new ideas in education. You will work with colleagues within the programme of Minorities & Multilingualism (BA) and Multilingualism (MA). You will collaborate with other departments in the faculty, especially with Linguistics, Communication, and European Languages & Cultures.
We offer you a full-time position with 60% of your time for teaching (including administration). The 40% research time will be used to develop your own research line within diversity and minorities.
• you have a PhD in Sociology, Anthropology, Education or Social History
• you combine knowledge of Sociology or Anthropology or Social History with a Minority focus
• you have experience in conducting independent research in the area of diversity and minorities, as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications; affiliation with educational topics in your research would be considered an advantage
• you have teaching experience and relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs / University Teaching Qualification) or willing to obtain this qualification
• you are open to multidisciplinary collaboration, especially with sociolinguists and applied linguistics
• you like to work both independently and in a (virtual) multidisciplinary team, contributing to a high-quality teaching learning environment
• your strengths are organising, entrepreneurship and communication, meeting deadlines
• you have the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
• you have knowledge of Dutch or willingness to learn it within a reasonable period of time may be one of the conditions for tenure (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking) within two years
• your willingness to engage with the Frisian language and context is also appreciated.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,637 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 5,656 gross per month (scale 12) with a full-time appointment
• a holiday allowance and year-end bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• an appointment on a temporary basis for 5 years
• Dual Career Support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
The appointee will ideally commence as soon as possible.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
You may apply for this position until 27 May 2020 before 00.00 Dutch local times by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You can fill in the form and upload 4 PDF files (all in English):
1. a letter of motivation
2. a CV
3. a brief description of your scientific interests and research plans; a statement about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total). You can upload this under “extra document” on the website
4. an appropriate writing sample, you can upload this document also.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place in June 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, you are encouraged to apply. We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Joana Da Silveira Duarte
Dr Sjoerd-Jeroen Moenandar
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220161