Tenure Track Assistant Professor Biomimetics of Unsteady Fluid Mechanics 1.0 FTE
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Energy & Sustainability Research Institute Groningen (ESRIG). ESRIG combines research of many aspects of energy systems and sustainability questions ranging from climate and atmospheric research to systems analysis and societal aspects of the energy transition, all in 6 departments. The successful candidate will be embedded in the Ocean Ecosystem Department within the Biomimetics Group.
We are looking for a tenure track Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of unsteady fluid mechanics and associated biomechanics. The main goal of our research is to unravel and apply unsteady fluid mechanics principles to energy producing or consuming systems involving interactions with fluids, aiming for improving energy consumption/production efficiency.
As tenure track Assistant Professor you will:
• develop a strong research group that contributes to the profile of your research institute
• supervise PhD students
• acquire substantial research funds from external sources
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree program Energy and Environmental Sciences and related degree programs such as Mechanical Engineering and Applied Physics
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the fields of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of tenure track Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in Biological Fluid Mechanics or a related field
• at least two years of academic experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD, and an extensive international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• a good track record in teaching and in curriculum development, appropriate to your career stage
• demonstrable organizational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to highlight the societal relevance of your research
• in possession of or willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to learn it within five years.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,637 up (scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 gross per month (scale 12) in case of a full time position
• holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
• a mentor program and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
• a full-time position as tenure track Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science.
The appointment will initially be for 7 years. You will be assessed for promotion to Associate Professor after 4 years, and after 7 years with regard to promotion to Full Professor. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4?lang=en
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You can submit your application until 29 April 11:59pm / before 30 April 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the week of second week of May 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. H.A.J. Meijer, Director of ESRIG
+31 50 3634760
Prof. E.J. Stamhuis, Biomimetics Group leader
+31 50 3632078
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220090
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail Research institute Career Paths in Science