Coordinator Intellectual Property & Business Development Team (0.8–1.0 FTE)
Office of the University
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen (UG) ranks among the best research universities in Europe and has an international focus. The UG is socially active and involved with its immediate surroundings. Our staff put their academic passion to good use, researching and teaching in a wide range of fields. Everyone has the opportunity to develop his or her talents to the full. The talents, ambitions and achievements of the more than 32,000 students and 5,600 members of staff are rewarded wherever possible.
Northern Knowledge (Business Generator Groningen) assists in commercialising knowledge generated at the University of Groningen (UG) and University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG) through technology transfer, initiating collaborations with companies, new company creation and provision of pre-seed funds.
Knowledge generated by the UG and UMCG, to be considered as intellectual property (IP), can help in solving every day challenges in health care, medical technology, nutrition, materials, energy and sustainability. The Knowledge Transfer Office of NK supports and facilitates researchers in various ways in this field.
Northern Knowledge welcomes applicants with a legal and/or (bio)technical background who are interested to work in the exciting field of innovation and valorisation.
- coordination of the IP & Business Development team of Northern Knowledge, consisting of patent managers, business developers and legal persons
- management of (a defined number of) IP and patent projects: assisting in establishing IP protection and maintaining contacts with patent offices
- supporting the process of licensing & negotiating
- supporting, and/or advising on, the drafting of public-private research contracts
- monitoring license contracts and maintaining strong relationships with industrial stakeholders
- stimulating patent awareness and informing scientists on IP issues and policy
- representation of the KTO in national organisations.
- master degree in Law, preferably with specialization in IP rights and/or contract law, or master degree in (Bio)Chemistry/Physics
- proficient in building working relationships with scientists, companies and key partners involved in the technology transfer process
- client and service oriented, proactive and enterprising with excellent analytical and entrepreneurial skills
- ability to work independently and to coordinate a multidisciplinary team
- excellent interpersonal skills
- language skills: fluent in Dutch and English
- ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- interest in technical innovations and valorisation, capability to develop further skills which are required for this function, and willingness to further education
- knowledge of the patenting process, structuring of public private partnerships, licensing, marketing or other aspects of technology transfer serves as a recommendation.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary based on qualifications and experience of between € 4,406 and € 5,656 (salary scale 12) gross per month based on full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% year-end bonus
- minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
- a temporary contract for one year. An evaluation will take place within that year to assess whether the prospect of appointment for an indefinite period is possible.
The position is linked to the UFO profile of knowledge valorization officer 2.
Date of commencement: as soon as possible
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
- letter of application
- curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 1 March 11.59pm / before 2 March 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr. Annemieke Galema, director Northern Knowledge
+ 31 50 3635459
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220041