Assistant Professor Leadership & Political Philosophy (0.8 fte)
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research. We conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues, with a focus on four research flagships: 1) Governance 2) Sustainable Economy, 3) Language, Culture & Technology, 4) Food & Health. Technology related issues represent a fast-growing aspect of our research and education. You will work at a state-of-the-art facility at one of the oldest and most prestigious European universities, in the European Capital of Culture 2018.The Campus’ motivated team values teamwork and provides a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with room for individual initiative. You will become a member of our high-standing academic and international community. We challenge our staff and students to approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a different view. We are curious about yours!
Within Campus Fryslân, you will primarily be working at the University College Fryslân (UCF). UCF is a new university college, inspired by the UN Agenda for Sustainable Development. UCF offers a BSc in Global Responsibility & Leadership. This bachelor is a broad, scientifically rigorous, interdisciplinary programme with three Majors (Responsible Governance, Responsible Humanity, and Responsible Planet). The programme has a strong emphasis on digital skills and leadership development. Through small-scale and intensive education, you work together with ambitious student-researchers to help them acquire the knowledge and skills that are necessary to design solutions for global challenges and become change agents for sustainable development.
UCF invites applications for a motivated colleague at the level of Assistant Professor in the field of Leadership & Political Philosophy. You are expected to contribute to the development of the educational and research domain of political theory, ethics and global responsibility and leadership, specifically personal leadership and leadership development. Furthermore, you will teach and develop courses in the major Responsible Governance and the Skills Lab within the BSc Global Responsibility & Leadership. You will have the unique opportunity to combine teaching with research and shape the emerging research programme. Finally, we are highly committed to building a diverse and dynamic academic community in Leeuwarden, and we expect a similar commitment from all our academic staff.
The candidate will:
● support the development of the major “Responsible Governance”, and teach and (further) develop the courses Leadership Lab, Key Political Thinkers and Ethics & Global Responsibility
● conduct research independently as well as together with student-researchers in your own domain of research as part of the UCF curriculum in so-called “living lab” projects
● contribute to the existing research lines, from advice to actual research and co-supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students
● acquire funding for new research activities and actively look for (international) partners to build consortia
● participate in teaching-related activities supporting the faculty, such as recruitment, committees and outreach.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with demonstrated research and teaching potential, a strong empirical research background and a focus on leadership and political philosophy.
The ideal candidate has:
● a PhD in Leadership, Political Science, Ethics, Philosophy or comparable domain
● the demonstrated capacity to deliver research outcomes which are of interest both to science and to society
● the ability to conduct academic research as reflected in substantial publications in books, conference proceedings or scientific journals
● a demonstrated capacity for teaching and course content development at a university level
● the willingness to apply an inter- and transdisciplinary perspective to research and education
● the capacity to teach bachelor students in small-scale settings and conduct research together with them in living lab settings in your own area of expertise
● an international and proactive outlook fitting to a new and dynamic organisation
● excellent command of the English language, including good communication skills; Dutch language abilities would be an asset
● a University Teaching Qualification, or the willingness to acquire this qualification within two years after the starting date.
Contractduur: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a minimum salary of €3,637.- to a maximum of €4,978.- depending on qualifications and experience (salary scale 11) gross a month on a full-time basis (1.0 FTE)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• the position has a 60-40 percent distribution with regard to teaching-research. After one year, there is the possibility of extending the appointment of 0.8 FTE to a full-time position, depending on evaluation and size of the student body. The post will be established for a fixed term period of two years. Towards the end of that period, there will be a result- and development interview in order to decide whether the appointment may be made permanent.
You should submit your application until 23 February 2020 (23:59 CET)/ before 24 February 2020. Applications should include:
1) a letter of motivation
2) a curriculum vitae including a list of publications and other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
3) a statement on teaching, detailing courses taught or developed
4) email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration. The starting date for this position is 1 July or 1 August 2020.
The interview will consist of two parts: the interview (30 minutes) and the mock lecture (15 minutes) during which you will demonstrate your knowledge of the research domain and showcase your teaching capabilities. The University of Groningen/Campus Fryslân is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive our full consideration. Nevertheless, as we are committed to building a diverse faculty, female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Acquisition is not appreciated.
Voor meer informatie over deze vacature kunt u contact opnemen met:
dr. I.S.E. (Indira) van der Zande
Noemt u in uw sollicitatie altijd het vacaturenummer 220036
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:University College Fryslân Campus Fryslân