PhD position in Economics and Business (10.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the approximately 32.000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Faculty of Economics and Business
The Faculty of Economics and Business has an inspiring study and working environment for students and employees. International accreditation enables the Faculty to assess performance against the highest international standards. It also creates an exciting environment of continuous improvement. FEB's programmes, academic staff and research do well on various excellence ranking lists.
The Graduate School SOM of the Faculty of Economics and Business has available
10 PhD positions in Economics and Business
The aim of SOM’s PhD programme is to deliver highly qualified researchers. For this purpose, SOM offers PhD positions to excellent candidates who recently graduated. The PhD programme covers three years and leads to a PhD degree. These three years are primarily spent on writing research papers for the PhD thesis and on participation in international conferences, workshops, and seminars.
The PhD programme is embedded in the research institute SOM with six excellent research programmes:
1. Economics, Econometrics & Finance (link: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-economics-and-business/phd-programme/prospective-phd/eef/research-areas)
2. Global Economics & Management (link: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-economics-and-business/phd-programme/prospective-phd/gem/research-areas)
3. Organizational Behaviour (link: https://www.rug.nl/research/hrm-ob/)
4. Innovation & Organization (link: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-economics-and-business/phd-programme/prospective-phd/io/research-areas)
5. Marketing (link: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-economics-and-business/phd-programme/prospective-phd/marketing/research-areas)
6. Operations Management & Operations Research (link: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-economics-and-business/phd-programme/prospective-phd/marketing/research-areas)
All PhD candidates are supervised by at least two supervisors who are a research fellow of SOM.
PhD candidates contribute 15% of their time to teaching.
The ideal candidate is ambitious, highly motivated and wishes to make a career in research. He or she has a thorough training in research skills, speaks and writes English fluently and has obtained excellent results in the master phase.
Candidates should have a research master degree or equivalent in Economics or Business. Applicants with other research master degrees could be taken into account if sufficiently related to our research programmes.
Equivalent means that, in addition to holding a regular master degree, applicants can prove that they have sufficient research-related experience and knowledge. Examples of such equivalence include a MPhil degree from a well-reputed university or having completed a research-oriented Honours programme with a minimum of 30 EC.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 36 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary of € 2,709 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 2,972 gross per month in the third and final year
• a full-time position (1.0 FTE) for a period of in principle three years, under the condition of a positive assessment at the end of the first year
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income in May
• an 8.3% year-end bonus in December.
An assessment may be part of the procedure, consisting of psychological tests and an interview.
Starting date: 1 September 2020.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
1. A motivation letter and a short research proposal (including a research question, the methodological approach and intended contributions max. 2 A4)
2. A CV
3. A scan of your diploma including transcripts
4. Proof of English proficiency
5. Other relevant documents.
The documents 1-4 are compulsory and please note that incomplete application packages will not be taken into consideration.
You can submit your application until 09 February 11:59pm / before 10 February 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
send an e-mail to
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220016-25
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Other PhD vacancies