Assistant Professor in Philosophy (0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Philosophy
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the approximately 32,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
The Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Groningen is a vibrant, international community of excellent researchers and teachers. It consistently receives the highest evaluations both for research and for teaching among philosophy departments in The Netherlands. The Faculty has three departments: History of Philosophy, Theoretical Philosophy, and Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy.
The Faculty of Philosophy is looking for an Assistant Professor with expertise in philosophy of science (including the philosophy of specific disciplines within the natural, life, and social sciences), epistemology (including formal and social epistemology), or logic.
The position is in the Department of Theoretical Philosophy and includes research (40%) as well as teaching and administrative tasks (60%). We are particularly interested in a candidate who can relate her/his philosophical work to other scientific or scholarly disciplines. Ideally, the research of you can complement and strengthen the existing research profile of the department, and can contribute to the lively intellectual life of the faculty as a whole.
We expect you to teach in the philosophy programme on both BA and MA level, including the MA programme “Philosophy and Science”, which caters for students who study philosophy and another discipline in tandem. It is crucially important that you can offer courses that will appeal to a broad range of philosophy students, as well as students from a variety of other academic backgrounds. For information about the faculty and the department and its members, see: http://www.rug.nl/filosofie/organization/theoretical/
• PhD in philosophy or related field
• strong research profile and publication record appropriate to career stage
• record of high-quality teaching appropriate to career stage
• willingness to apply for relevant research grants
• an excellent command of English, both in writing and in speaking; knowledge of Dutch is not required but working knowledge of it is expected after three years
• intellectual drive, enthusiasm and open-mindedness
• international network or record of international collaboration
• some experience with administrative duties and/or departmental service and/or professional service is welcomed.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,637 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 gross (scale 12) for a full-time position
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus in addition, participation in a pension scheme for employees; favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
- a permanent appointment (not tenure track) after a period of 2 years conditional on a positive performance review.
Starting date: 1 September 2020
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
1. A cover letter containing your motivation for the position
3. The names and contact details of three referees and an indication whether we can contact them at this stage
4. A sample of written work that is relevant to this position, not more than 8,000 words: it may be a published or unpublished sample and may be an extract from a longer piece
5. Teaching evaluations (if available) and a list of publications.
You can submit your application until 16 January 11:59pm / before 17 January 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Skype interviews will take place on 28 January 2020 at 14:18am. Site visits are scheduled for 25 and 26 February 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Jan Willem Romeijn, Chair of the search committee
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219617