Teacher Life Science and Technology lab-classes (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is with its size of over 1.300 staff members, approximately 6.000 students, and over 800 PhD students the largest faculty of the University of Groningen. The Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering (USSE) is within FSE responsible for the education in the bachelor programmes and for the implementation of faculty and university policy regarding students and educational development.
The bachelor programme Life Science and Technology (LST) starts with a completely new programme in September 2020. This programme is focused on the life sciences and the technologies that are driving discovery in these sciences, such as microscopy and chemical biology. The programme combines elements from programmes in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Biomedical and Pharmaceutical sciences. The programme is taught in English. We expect a student intake of 50 to 100 students every year.
For the bachelor programme LST we are looking for a new colleague who will contribute to the (co)provisioning of lab-classes, tutorials and lectures. As the curriculum is completely new, you will have many opportunities to design and implement teaching material yourself, in close collaboration with course coordinators and/or the programme director.
- help in the design and preparation of the lab-classes and to prepare them for the future
- provide lab-classes in the LST programme
- give lectures related to these lab-classes
- supervise bachelor projects.
We seek candidates with:
- a PhD degree in the life sciences, biochemistry or biophysics
- experience in setting up lab-classes
- teaching and organizational experience appropriate to the career stage
- (some) experience with modern molecular-biological techniques and bioinformatics
- excellent social and communicative skills.
- team players
- able to work independently and to take initiative
- fluent in English
- stress resistant
- willing to fulfil the requirements for the University Teaching Qualification.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement with Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 2,709 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 4,978 gross per month (salary scale 11) depending on qualifications and background for a fulltime appointment
• a fulltime position (1.0 FTE)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• an appointment for initially one year, with the possibility for one year extension after a positive evaluation.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• cover letter
• curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 3 December 11:59pm / before 4 December 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Dirk-Jan Scheffers, Deputy Programme Director LST(general information)
+31 50 3632319
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219589