Assistant Professor in Mathematics (0.5-1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen (UG), founded in 1614, has a strong focus on research. We are in the top 100 of several influential university ranking lists. The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is one of the largest faculties with approximately 7,000 students. We have an international reputation and are AACSB and EQUIS accredited. We offer research driven education within 4 bachelor programs, 15 master programs, and 3 executive master programs. Many of these programs belong to the top 3 in The Netherlands. Please visit the FEB website http://www.rug.nl/feb for more information about us and our research.
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance of our faculty is seeking to appoint an assistant professor in Mathematics.
As an assistant professor, you will teach in the BSc of Econometrics and Operations Research (BSc EOR). During the past three years, this program has attracted more than 150 first-year student enrollments each year. The department is also responsible for the MSc in Econometrics, Operations Research & Actuarial Studies, which attracts about 30-40 students on average.
You contribute to teaching and course development in the BSc EOR. You will primarily teach mathematics courses to first-year BSc EOR students. These courses cover topics related to calculus and mathematical analysis. You may also teach other courses, possibly in other programs, such as statistics and probability theory. You will receive research time based on your research fit with the department.
• You have a PhD in (Applied) Mathematics or in a mathematical field of Econometrics
• You are able to bridge the gap between high-school and first year university-level mathematics students
• You have experience in developing and teaching mathematics courses specifically designed for programs such as Econometrics and Operations Research
• You possess a University Teaching Qualification or you are willing to obtain this qualification
• You are organized and communicate well and you are proficient in English.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities we offer:
• a salary with a minimum of € 3,637 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 (scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position, depending on qualifications and work experience;
• an 8% holiday allowance, 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees;
• favorable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants;
• 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full-time employment; and
• an appointment for a period of five years.
We expect you to start as soon as possible.
Do you meet the qualifications? Then, please send your application, accompanied by the following documents:
1. A motivation letter
2. A curriculum vitae
3. Three letters of recommendation; you may send them by email to Mrs. Martine Koolman, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Your recent teaching evaluations; and
5. A short statement of your teaching accomplishments and future teaching goals.
You can submit your application until 21 November 11:59pm / before 22 November Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Women are under-represented in our faculty, therefore they are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Niels Hermes, Head of the Department
Prof. Laura Spierdijk, Program Director BSc EOR
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219505