Tenure Track Assistant Professor Visual Computing and Analytics (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as computer science, artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Bernoulli Institute. The institute comprises five mathematics programmes, six computer science programmes and four artificial intelligence programmes. The research of the Computer Science department of the institute centers around fundamental computing, software engineering, information and distributed systems, visual computing, and intelligent systems, keeping a balanced mix of fundamental and applied aspects. The position will be embedded in the basic unit Scientific Visualization & Computer Graphics. The institute plays a central role in the FSE research theme Data Science and Systems Complexity (DSSC) and the new Center on Cognitive Systems and Materials (CogniGron).
More information about the research institute: https://www.rug.nl/research/bernoulli/
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of Visual Computing and Analytics. This research field encompasses computer science disciplines dealing with images and 3D models, such as computer graphics, image processing, visualization, virtual and augmented reality, or video processing. It also includes aspects of human-computer interaction and machine learning, particularly in the form of visual analytics, which is the science of analytical reasoning facilitated by interactive visual interfaces. Relevant application fields are medical visualization, biological visualization, text visualization, molecular visualization, environmental visualization, astronomical visualization, etc.
As an Assistant Professor you will:
• set up and develop your own research line and research group
• supervise PhD students
• acquire external funding
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programmes Computer Science
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in Computer Science or a related field
• at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD, and a relevant international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• a good track record in teaching, appropriate for your career stage
• demonstrable organizational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
• willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3.637 up to a maximum of € 5.656 gross per month (salary scale 11 or 12, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
• a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As an Assistant Professor, you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an Associate Professor. After another 4 to 7 years, you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4?lang=en.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans.
Please send your application by clicking on "Apply" below the advertisement on the website of the university. The deadline for applications for this position is 9am CET on 31 August 2019.
The selection interviews will take place in the week of 23-27 September 2019.
The University of Groningen is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the NVP Recruitment Code and the European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers from the European Commission.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof J.B.T.M. Roerdink, scientific director of the Bernouilli Institute
+31-50 363 39 31
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219410
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail Career Paths in Science Web page of the Scientific Visualization & Computer Graphics group