Lecturer Liberal Arts and Sciences programme (0.5-0.8 FTE)
University College Groningen
University of Groningen
The University College Groningen (UCG) is a faculty of the University of Groningen that started a Liberal Arts and Sciences programme in September 2014. The UCG Liberal Arts and Sciences programme offers broad academic education with a focus on engagement to societal challenges through project-based education and interdisciplinary integration. The UCG community is internationally oriented, with staff and students from across the globe. For the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme, UCG is looking for an academic with experience in teaching international relations and/or (international) political science, a primary interest in education and active learning methods in an interdisciplinary setting, and motivated to contribute to the development of the University College Groningen.
The lecturer will teach courses in the field of international relations in the major social sciences and the supervision of bachelor thesis (0.2 - 0.3 FTE) and will contribute to the core programme (projects, academic skills, methodology; 0.5 FTE). Depending on qualifications and availability of candidates, the position may be split into two separate appointments. As a member of the Department Social Sciences, you will participate in the UCG community of students and staff. You will guide students in their academic development as their tutor. Moreover, you will be expected to contribute to the development of the UCG community, which requires your presence at the College on at least three days of the week as well as occasional participation in evening or weekend events.
UCG is looking for a candidate with the following credentials:
• has obtained a PhD or is currently completing a PhD in international relations or political science
• has teaching experience, good student evaluations and preferably a University Teaching Qualification
• preferably has experience in project-based education
• is a team player and good communicator
• has an international background or experience
• has near-native English proficiency
• is able to demonstrate experience with educational innovation and active learning methods.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience from a minimum of € 2,709 to a maximum of € 4,274 (salary scale 10) gross per month for a full-time position
• 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees; favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
• an appointment on a temporary basis for 2 years.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
Starting date: 1 October or 1 November 2019
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• a cover letter that explains the motivation for applying for this position
• a full curriculum vitae
• a teaching statement that contains a description of courses taught and teaching qualifications.
You can submit your application until 22 August 11:59pm / before 23 August 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place in the week of 8 September 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. M.M.T.A Brus, Head of Department Social Sciences
+31 6 38003768
Prof. A.L Smeulers, Academic Director Social Sciences
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219405