Funding Officer (0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in The Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES).
GELIFES is one of the largest institutes of the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE), fills a special niche in the life sciences by covering and integrating physiological and neurobiological, evolutionary and ecological approaches, aiming to understand adaptation at all levels of biological organisation. The 40 researchers pursue fundamental questions while collaborating with partners from nature conservation, industry, medicine and other realms of society. Our research fields include ecology, conservation biology, evolutionary biology, behavioural biology, chronobiology, genetics and genomics, neurobiology, physiology and theoretical modelling, using a wide array of research tools and organisms, ranging from microbes to plants, insects, and verterates including humans. Research levels range from molecular and organismal to populations and ecosystems, performed under laboratory, semi-natural and field conditions.
We are looking for a Funding Officer who can take a lead in identifying funding opportunities and partnerships for GELIFES. The Funding Officer role takes a proactive, client-focused approach in the identification and dissemination of national and international research funding opportunities. She/he will be part of the GELIFES office under supervision of the director of the institute.
Main tasks include:
• identifying national and international funding sources, and match these with our research mission and the interest and possibilities of our researchers
• identifying academic and industrial partners/networks in order for staff to start building relevant consortia for (EU) funding possibilities, PhD exchange programmes, and/or industrial collaborations
• working with individual staff members and R&D team members to develop their short and long term personalized funding strategy.
• supporting funding applications by writing general sections of grant proposals (general information about the institute, international position, facilities, staff and PhD’s etc).
• being an active member of the funding officers groups of the university and faculty
• identifying and communicating key success factors in obtaining funding from relevant programmes and compiling reports on GELIFES performance in acquiring these funds
• ensuring efficient information flow about upcoming opportunities, procedures and funding portals and where necessary providing information and /or training sessions.
• PhD degree, preferably in Life Sciences
• preferably previous experience as a funding officer, with knowledge of NWO and /or European research funding (Horizon 2020)
• good organizational, time-management and communication skills
• proactive, and ability to prioritize and perform under strict time constraints
• ability to work well both independently as well as in a team
• excellent command of Dutch and English, both orally and in writing
• good knowledge of MS Office programmes.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you a temporary full-time position as a Funding Officer in our institute and:
- a salary, depending on qualifications, work experience and career stage from a minimum € 2,709 (scale 10) up to a maximum of € 4,978 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time position
- holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your annual salary
- a pension scheme
- paid parental leave
- a temporary position for 12 months with possibility for extension of your appointment.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a list with names of references.
You may apply for this position until 7 July 11:59 pm / before 8 July 2019 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews are planned in week 28 (8-12 July 2019).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. A.G.G. Groothuis
+31 50 36 32068
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219348