Lecturer Department of Global Economics & Management, Groningen (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 31,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Faculty of Economics and Business
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is a research focused, international Faculty which consistently ranks high in international business rankings. FEB offers an inspiring international academic community for students, staff, alumni and external organisations. The Faculty is renowned for its quality, ambition and identity.
The mission of the Faculty is to prepare students for a career in research or a leading position in the corporate or public sector through high quality, research based degree programs in the fields of economics and business; to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in these fields by conducting high quality research; and to provide a stimulating and international environment for both staff and students.
The Department of Global Economics & Management (GEM) is an active and international department, consisting of approximately 80 people. We teach courses in the Bachelor programmes of the faculty and the master programmes of GEM; International Business & Management and International Economics and Business. These are all taught in English. In addition, we participate in the challenging two-year Research Master programme for students intending to pursue a PhD.
The research of the department can be described as empirical research that is strongly embedded in theory. Central research themes are, among others, Economic Development, International Economics, International Business, International Financial Economics. Approximately 40% of our colleagues are non-Dutch so our support staff is used to communicating in English. More than 80% of the PhD students are non-Dutch. We have published in a wide range of top journals, such as the American Economic Review, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Economic Perspectives and Journal of International Business Studies.
We are looking for new colleagues who can participate in the teaching of the Bachelor and Master programmes of the department. Responsibilities can also include mentoring students and thesis supervision.
The teaching content and responsibilities depend on your qualifications and interests. Depending on interest, experience and qualifications, a maximum of 30% of the workload will be allocated to research.
The qualifications for this position are as follows:
• you have a PhD degree in a relevant field of study
• you are an enthusiastic and effective lecturer with knowledge of didactics and understanding of teaching and assessment methods
• you have a University Teaching Qualification or you are willing to obtain this qualification
• you are proficient in English
• you have experience in (applied) research in a relevant field and you are enthusiastic and a team player with excellent communication skills.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 maanden.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary from a minimum of € 3,637 gross per month (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 gross per month (salary scale 12) for a full-time position (1.0 FTE) in addition, an 8% holiday allowance, an 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in the pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
• a contract of preferably five years, but shorter terms can be discussed as well. The percentage of research time depends on expertise and qualities of the candidate, with a maximum of 30%.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• a motivation letter
• an up-to-date curriculum vitae that clearly highlights teaching experience
• teaching evaluations
• letter of recommendation; can be sent to the secretariat of the Department of GEM: FEB Secretariat Global Economics and Management firstname.lastname@example.org, stating ‘Job application Lecturers, GEM’ in the subject line.
You can submit your application until Wednesday 15 May 11.59pm / before 16 May 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You will start in September 2019, but if you wish to start earlier this can be discussed.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code and European Commission's: European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Robert Inklaar, Chairman of the Hiring Committee
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219217
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:GEM