Full Professor European Law (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Law
University of Groningen
The Groningen Law Faculty is a modern (inter)nationally-oriented Faculty with a broad and classic profile. While it has a four hundred year old tradition, it keeps renewing its teaching continually to educate broadly-oriented and skilled lawyers. The Faculty’s research to a large extent transcends legal fields and is multidisciplinary in nature. With some 4000 students and nearly 350 members of staff, we are a mid-sized Faculty in the University of Groningen.
Within the Faculty, the Chair of European Law becomes vacant from 1 September 2019. The Chair is placed in the European and Economic Law section of the Department of Tax Law, European Law, and Business Law.
The Professor to be appointed will undertake teaching and research in the law of the European institutions, in particular the law of the European Union.
The function involves:
• coordinating and delivering (with others) teaching (including continuing education (post-academic education)) in Dutch and English and taking responsibility for the quality and renewal of teaching in the field of European law
• conducting, initiating, supervising and leading research in the field of European law, including obtaining means of financing such research
• participating in bodies and committees servicing the Faculty Board and associated institutions.
The candidate must possess:
• recognised expertise in the field of European law, as attested by excellent research publications in international peer-reviewed journals
• wide-ranging knowledge of European law and a profound knowledge of one or more domains of EU law
• outstanding didactic qualities, as attested by subject evaluations, and an inspiring vision on teaching
• extensive research experience, and experience in the acquisition of and participation in research projects.Experience in supervision of doctoral candidates
• interest in interdisciplinary research
• the ability to further profile the Chair nationally and internationally
• proven leadership and administrative capacities, including excellent communicative and social skills
• both spoken and written knowledge of the Dutch language (or willingness to acquire this skill) and of the English language;
• a broad network within the academic community and/or legal practice
• international contacts in the field
• experience in practice if possible.
Conditions of employmentThe University of Groningen offers a permanent appointment as Professor 2. The salary is dependent on qualifications and experience and will range between € 5,582 and € 8,127 (scale H2 in the Collective Employment Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time appointment.
If you wish, you may request a copy of the structure report from Ms. G. Steendam, phone no. +31 50 3635653, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may apply for this position until 30 April 11.59pm / before 1 May 2019 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J.B. Wezeman, Dean of the Faculty of Law
+31 50 3635607
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219214E