Lecturer Analysis and Design of Sustainable Production Systems (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a full-time position as a lecturer in Analysis and Design of Sustainable Production Systems, related to the degree programme Industrial Engineering and Management (IEM).
The multidisciplinary IEM programme is fully embedded in the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE). IEM applies an integrative design approach in which the relevant industrial, business and social/societal context is integrated into technical engineering design. The degree programme is closely connected to the research institute ENTEG (ENgineering and TEchnology institute Groningen) and the Groningen Engineering Centre.
The candidate will become both a member of the IEM Design Group as a core teacher of IEM, and connected to ENTEG research groups, especially to new positions related to production system design. The independent IEM Design Group teaches engineering design methods (primarily for IEM bachelor’s and master’s programme), has strong industrial connections and closely cooperates with ENTEG. The teacher position bridges academic engineering research and industrial application.
The teaching position primarily involves the development and teaching of operations, logistics and supply chain management modules, dedicated to the manufacturing areas of the IEM bachelor’s and master’s programme.
Typical subjects of interests for teaching are:
• production and/or manufacturing system design, production planning and control, and supply chain management
• specialization course units related to production logistics and engineering.
This position includes the supervision of bachelor’s and master’s thesis work, among which a considerable share is the supervision of master’s Design Projects, in which students work for 5 months on location in an external industry based design assignment.
The candidate will also:
• make use of connections to industry in teaching and project supervision, thereby bridging the domains of research and industrial application, in terms of technology as well as engineering, project management, team work, and (ethical) responsibility
• contribute to nationally and internationally oriented projects in developing knowledge on (teaching) engineering methods for production and manufacturing system design, dedicated to the IEM teaching and ENTEG research applications.
• the candidate preferably has a PhD degree in Industrial Engineering and Management or related field, such as Operations Research, Operations Management, Technology Management, or a closely related Engineering, Science or Business degree programme with proven strong affinity with an industrial engineering setting
• proven in-depth understanding of the field of science and engineering (design), acquired in a work setting and/or in a degree programme
• excellent didactic qualities, and awareness of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching; obtained the University Teaching Qualification or is willing to acquire it
• we are looking for candidates who already combine or are willing to acquire elements of the following qualifications:
-) experience with working on science and technical engineering subjects, preferably 2-5 years of experience in an educational/industrial setting
-) affinity with project management, team work and (ethical) considerations
-) develop education in a multidisciplinary setting: able to apply knowledge and skills from both the social/managerial sciences and mathematical/natural sciences
-) experience in working with large groups, preferably in an educational setting.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.The University of Groningen offers a Teacher position (UFO job profile), depending on your experience, with a salary from a minimum of € 3,475 up to a maximum of € 4,757 (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities) gross per month when full-time appointed. The appointment is first for one year. After a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview, a tenured position can be attained.
Starting date: as soon as possible
You may apply for this position until 4 March / before 5 March 2018 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications must include curriculum vitae and any available teaching evaluations.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Gerald Jonker, Head of IEM design group and IEM Bachelor’s programme director
+31 50 3634282,
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 218020