Spatial Developer (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Center for Information Technology
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is an internationally orientated university with more than 30,000 students from all parts for the world. It is driven by research and innovations and is embedded in the knowledge city of the Northern Netherlands. For the more than 400 years of its existence quality has been central to its aims. With success: in the most influential international rankings the university is located at a position in the top 100.
The Center of Information Technology (CIT) is a leading national and European institute in the field of information technology. A high-tech environment with state-of-the-art computer clusters, phenomenally large storage systems and top notch Virtual Reality facilities. As a major regional and international player, the CIT supports innovation and academic research. Geodienst aims to be a noteworthy part of this.
The Geodienst is a successful spatial expertise group within the CIT. We work together with local and international researchers and partners, like Oxford, VU, UMCG, RTL, Provincie Fryslân, SER, TAUW, policy makers and local businesses on a diversity of innovative projects. We combine academic knowledge with an entrepreneurial inquisitive mindset. We have ample room to experiment, and use it to stay ahead of the game.
Partners choose us because of our personal approach, no-nonsense attitude and our enthusiasm for all things regarding Geo. We are proud of the level of support we provide to our scientists and clients. We are looking for a developer who can help us find creative solutions to geo-visualisations, data analysis and has an affinity with machine learning.
We’re looking for the following qualities:
● you are a creative thinker and your portfolio reflects that. You can utilise various sources to make projects come to life. You are able to play with different ideas and prioritize the most compelling ones
● you have a good eye for crisp visualizations and a well designed user interface. Our maps and prototypes are often the first aspect of our work that people come across, and leaving a good impression is part of our success. Your past projects may have included webviewers, visualizations, or maybe you found several ways to break d3.js before coming up with a new solution
● we are first and foremost spatial geeks. Ideally you would have eagerness to challenge unknown code libraries, learn about new domains and come up with exciting ideas. With us you'll never stop learning. You'll work alongside technical experts, customers, distinguished scientists and energetic students. At the end of the day, enthusiasm keeps our team together.
Sounds like you? Are you looking for a diverse and technical role in an academic (but different) environment? Do you want to join our mission?
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.The University of Groningen offers a salary between € 2,588 (scale 10 Dutch Universities) and € 4,757 (scale 11) gross per month based for a full-time position on the experience and education level of the candidate. The position is initially for a period of 1 year.
Ready to click Apply?
You may apply for this position until 20 February / before 21 February 2018 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Impress us with the following information:
● your motivation - including why you’re interested in the Geodienst and working on product prototypes with the team
● a portfolio with examples of your work and hobby projects
● a resume with relevant past experience.
We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team. Interested, but not sure if you’re “the one”? Even Neo had to grow into his role. At the Geodienst we strongly believe that the right mindset will get you anywhere. We offer room for self development, and encourage you to apply even if you don’t tick all the boxes!
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Govert Schoof, Coördinator Geodienst
+31 50 3639211.
In your application, please always include the job opening ID T078217
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Geodienst