Can you imagine what could happen when the security in the maritime sector is not working properly? When a certain group with bad intentions have the control over a vessel and blocking a canal and obstructing the route for other vessels? Or when the security measures at Rotterdam harbour are taken over by someone? A potential economic crisis will be at hand as well as a possible disturbance within our national infrastructure. Those above can be one of the many topics where you as researcher Cyber Security at NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences will work with. Are you up for the challenge?
Are you a Cyber Security Specialist with an interest in applied research. Then we have an interesting job-opening for you at NHL Stenden University of applied sciences. You will work with fellow researchers, students and Industry on the subject of Maritime IT Security. Can you handle this responsibility?
Who are we?
Things happen by doing them. That is what we at NHL Stenden believe. We give our students the opportunity to develop their talents optimally. In a modern research environment, they themselves give direction to their studies and professional growth. We have strong ties with companies and institutions in the region, but also across the border. As an international multi-campus university of applied sciences, we encourage our students to look beyond their own field of study to develop new knowledge and participate in innovative projects. We create a meeting place where flows of knowledge and cultures come together and where new connections with the work field are created. In an ambitious way, NHL Stenden provides knowledge that works!
What does this position entail?
As a passionate researcher you work closely with your fellow researchers and teachers on different projects. As a part of the team you will write research proposals, develop, manage and participate in these research projects, engage with students on these projects, build networks with industry partners, attend research conferences and publish research.
You have the possibility to develop yourself as a key person on this topic. You want to keep learning and researching and share that knowledge with our students, so that you can contribute to the quality of our education. We are working on the development of the HBO (higher vocational education) master on Cyber Security. You contribute as part of the development team, and in this role, you help develop solid teaching materials and related things.
This, in combination with coaching students and working on technological innovations in practice, makes this job so special and versatile.
Why will you be doing this?
Cyberthreats to Maritime Industry are growing and the potential impacts on the global economy, social stability and geopolitics are significant. As a result NHL Stenden has established a research group on Maritime IT Security in conjunction with the ICT-, Cyber safety and Maritime departments. In the role of researcher you will be part of this newly established research group as key researcher and facilitator.
What should you expect to do during a working week?
This example week starts with a team meeting in Leeuwarden where the latest news and insights are discussed and applied on the different research projects. After this meeting, you have an appointment with some students who work on one of your projects. You coach them on the planning and progress. The next day you have a meeting on Terschelling with some vessel owners and colleagues from the Maritime Institute Willem Barentz where you work on a simulation of a cyber-attack. On Wednesday you have planned to work from home on a new project proposal. For this proposal you have also planned a online meeting with a client. The day after you go to Emmen to give a lecture on building a Honeynetwork.
- You have a master’s degree or PhD in the field of Cyber Security.
- You have a relevant (inter)national network in the world of Cyber Security.
- You have an excellent command of the English language both orally and in writing.
It would be desirable if you have demonstrable work experience in the world of Cyber Security.
These characteristics suit you:
- You are a team player which has the constant urge to discover the latest techniques in our field.
- You have an open mind, you know how to speak to your clients correctly and clearly and you are able to communicate your knowledge to your students in an enthusiastic way.
- You maintain a good overview of the different projects. You know how to set the right priorities and you act decisively.
- You are inquisitive and not afraid to take responsibility.
- You think in solutions. Sometimes they are simple, sometimes they are innovative.
Do some of the above characteristics apply to you? Then you are the Researcher Cyber Security we need!
These are your employment conditions:
- A good gross salary of up to € 5.026,85 per month with full-time employment.
- 8% Vacation allowance;
- 8.3% Year-end bonus;
- Pension scheme through ABP;
- Travel allowance;
- Possibility to exercise for free at our neighbours;
- You can also use one of our sparkling lunch cafés.
Just a few reasons to want to work with us:
- You will work with top tier companies regarding maritime cyber security.
- You will become part of a driven and enthusiastic team where expertise and knowledge transfer are paramount.
- In co-creation with teachers and students, you will develop and implement education and research in which the theme of the research group plays a key role.
Do you recognise yourself in the profile? This is how you can apply for this position
Are you the ideal candidate who fits the above profile? Then hesitate no longer and apply immediately by pressing 'Apply'. For questions about the procedure, please contact Mathijn Lindstedt (Recruitment Consultant) at phone number 06-11223081.