Senior Legal Counsel hydrogen projects
Gasunie is an energy network operator. In the Netherlands and the northern part of Germany, we operate and maintain the infrastructure for large-scale transport, storage and import of gas. Gasunie plays an important role in the energy transition by developing infrastructure projects for new energies, in particular for hydrogen. As a Senior Legal Counsel, you contribute to these challenging and complex hydrogen projects for the energy transition.
Work location: Your work location will be flexible, according to the arrangements made. You will primarily work from the office in Hanover and from home. You are also prepared to travel, including to Groningen, the Netherlands, and other locations where the partners or projects of Gasunie are located.
Hours per week: 32 to 40 hours.
What are you going to do?
Your will provide legal advice for the hydrogen projects of Gasunie in Germany and Gasunie’s participations. Your advice will be crucial in all stages of the business development activities and the participations. Gasunie is setting up a Dutch-German joint department for the hydrogen project development activities in both countries, with offices in Groningen, the Netherlands, and Hanover. You will work in close contact with the business developers and project managers for the hydrogen projects and with the colleagues from the finance and operations department, who are based either in the Netherlands or in Germany. You will also keep close contacts with the colleagues from the Dutch legal department advising on hydrogen projects in the Netherlands.
As Senior Legal Counsel, you are responsible for the following:
- Providing advice to Gasunie’s hydrogen projects in Germany, involving all relevant areas of law, such as contract, corporate and energy law, and drafting and negotiating contracts with partners and customers in Germany and abroad.
- Providing advice on the structuring of cooperation with third parties in projects and on the governance of such projects.
- Contributing to the discussions on strategy in Gasunie’s hydrogen projects.
- Contributing to managing and mitigating risks for Gasunie, including consistency with other hydrogen projects of Gasunie.
- Keeping up to date of all relevant developments in the energy sector and the law. You assess these developments and include them in your legal advice to the business.
- Providing legal advice also on your own initiative.
- You have a German law degree.
- You have 10 years plus working experience as a solicitor or legal counsel in an international law firm or company.
- You preferably have work experience in the area of energy and project development.
- You are experienced in drafting and negotiating complex international contracts and in setting up legal structures for cooperation with project partners.
- You are fluent in German and have excellent English language proficiency; knowledge of Dutch is an advantage, but not necessary.
As a person, you have strong analytical skills. You provide concise and clear advice. You consider acting with integrity and independence as import for your work as Senior Legal Counsel. You are passionate about what you do in your job. The societal impact of your work is an important driver for you. You are a team-player. You are aware of your important role as Senior Legal Counsel for different departments of Gasunie and for the projects. You want to know the stakeholder’s experience and motives and you are versed in acting in this setting.
What we offer
- A salary between € 89,568 and € 123,156 gross on an annual basis (12 months).
- A fixed 13th and 14th month.
- A fixed-term contract that will be converted into a permanent contract after a year.
- An excellent pension scheme with a small personal contribution of 2,45%.
- In addition to 160 leave hours per year, you will receive a flexible budget. You can buy extra days off from this, but you can also have it paid out.
- Ample opportunities to follow courses/training.
- One-off payment of €500 net in April 2023 to be spent on sustainable employability.
- The ability to work partially from home. To properly set up your home workplace, you will receive a compensation of a maximum of € 750.
- A work laptop/iPad and an iPhone.
Gasunie is an energy network operator. In the Netherlands and the northern part of Germany, we operate and maintain the infrastructure for large-scale transport and storage of gas. At the moment, this is mainly natural gas, but the energy transition will increasingly bring about a shift towards green gas and hydrogen. We also collaborate in the construction and management of heat and CO2 grids. We ensure that this part of the energy supply is safe, reliable and as sustainable as possible, ensuring that everyone has access to energy, always.
About the department
You will be part of the Corporate Legal department of Gasunie in the Netherlands and one of its first Senior Legal Counsels to be based in Germany. More than 30 lawyers are part of the department, working in teams for different departments and issues, such as the Dutch natural gas network operator Gasunie Transport Services and the hydrogen activities of Gasunie in the Netherlands and Germany. You will also be in contact with the legal department of the German natural gas network operator Gasunie Deutschland.
Do you want to apply?
Send your cv and motivation letter via our website and within three business days we will let you know if you have been invited for an interview in Groningen.
Do you want to have more information about this vacancy? Contact Sandra Melman (Manager): +316 3103 7316. Do you want to know more about the procedure? Contact Jelte de Haan (Recruiter): +316 4675 2273.
Submitting the Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is part of the application procedure.