Projectmanager UMCG Research BV
University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG) is one of the largest hospitals in the Netherlands and it is the biggest employer in the North of the Netherlands. A staff of over 13.000 people work in patient care and in leading medical research, focusing on healthy ageing.
The UMCG Research BV is a service provider embedded within the UMCG. We are a team of 22 people, from different backgrounds and with different nationalities, among them 18 project managers. We provide top research life cycle support by connecting people, ideas, tools and resources to enable excellent research with long-lasting impact. We offer project management support throughout the entire research support cycle, from idea development, proposal writing, grant agreement preparations, to post-award services, final reporting and dissemination support.
As a project manager, you will work together with other project managers in the UMCG Research BV team and with colleagues from UMCG Research Support. You will provide hands-on support to grant applications and research projects and provide general consultancy services. You will work along the whole research support cycle, from pre-award, post-award project management to business development (valorisation).
All projects we are supporting are multidisciplinary, requiring close collaboration between researchers, support staff, experts within the UMCG, grant providers and industry partners. The complexity of such projects is high, considering the involvement of different stakeholders and grant requirements that need to be incorporated in the project or be implemented during project implementation.
Pre-award includes the following: identifying appropriate funding opportunities, brainstorming with the researchers, connecting partners and coordinating the consortium, advising on proposal writing, co-writing and reviewing draft proposals, drafting budgets and submitting proposals. The majority of the proposals are submitted to national, regional and European funding programs (mainly NWO, ZonMw, ERDF/SNN, Erasmus+ and Horizon Europe).
Post-award entails leading the business operations in complex and mostly international multi-stakeholder projects with the aim of realizing and optimizing deliverables. Components of this include contract negotiation and management, accounting, coordinating and drawing up reports, maintaining contacts with internal and external stakeholders, managing governance and compliance with grant conditions.
Business development deals with the activities related to creating societal and economic value by utilizing knowledge developed at the UMCG. Your work will involve initiating and supporting private-public partnerships, advising researchers on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) and valorisation strategies, contract negotiation (including license agreements) and start-up support
General consultancy services can be anything our clients need and we can provide in the area of research support. Examples are optimisation of work flows, facilitation of working groups, process support of large evaluations, initiation of UMCG pilot projects and providing training and networking events.
Tasks of the project manager may include:
- Proactively inform researchers about funding opportunities and encouraging partnerships for large-scale and/or interdisciplinary research programs.
- Advise researchers on the preparation and submission of proposals or reports and the requirements in the application or project implementation process in close collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Prepare for – and write part of – project proposals, with a specific focus on the impact, management, implementation, communication and disseminations sections.
- Plan and coordinate the application or reporting process with all stakeholders, including management of the budget, reporting, and monitoring of progress and relevant internal and external developments.
- Provide relevant operational and management information on request.
- Act as a liaison between grant providers and researchers.
- Advise on the evaluation and dissemination of project result.
- Act as an expert point of contact in your own (to be developed) specialization area(s).
- Ensure good transfer of knowledge and information within the team.
- Provide training on project management related issues.
- Provide consultancy services in the areas of your expertise.
- Build a sustainable network within the UMCG, with relevant companies and grant providers.
- Promote knowledge sharing, development of best practices and continuously improve our services.
- Scout for and support public-private partnership of strategic value for the UMCG.
- Advise researchers and potential entrepreneurs on Intellectual Property Rights and valorisation strategies.
- Contract negotiation.
Wat vragen wij
We are continously looking for enablers, talented people and agents of change to join our ambitious and service-oriented team.
Competencies and skills in:
- unifying leadership;
- creative problem-solving;
- stress and time management;
- initiative taking;
- organisational sensitivity;
- planning, monitoring and organisation;
- out-of-the box thinking.
Education and experience:
- academic level of professional and intellectual ability (Master degree or PhD);
- good writing skills (e.g. in drafting project proposals, reports or business plans);
- experience in coordinating, preparing, supporting and evaluating multidisciplinary (scientific) projects;
- fluent in English, both written and spoken.
Furthermore, is it considered a plus, if you have knowledge and experiences with:
- regional, national and European grants;
- consultancy and advisory services;
- project management methods and techniques;
- facilitation of brainstorming sessions and of co-creation;
- training and knowledge sharing;
- project dissemination and science communication;
- strategy development;
- business development;
- good understanding of Dutch, both written en spoken.
Wat bieden wij
We offer a temporary contract of 1 year extendable up to 3 years, part-time (preferably 32 hours per week) – full-time is also negotiable. Your salary will be a maximum of € 5.088,- gross per month (scale 10), depending on your qualifications and relevant experience, based on a full-time appointment. In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay, and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centres (CAO-UMC).
Neem voor meer informatie contact op met:
drs. Sascha Le Large telefoonnummer (050) 361 7325
Please use the the digital application form at the bottom of this page - only these will be processed.
You can apply until 5 February 2023.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.