Scientific Director ERIBA/Head Dept. Ageing Biology/Professor Biology of Ageing
Department of Ageing Biology
ERIBA, embedded within the University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG), is an internationally renowned research institute that aims to deeply understand the critical mechanisms of ageing, in order to develop novel interventions in strategic alliances with clinical and industrial partners to defy age-related frailty. ERIBA creates an inclusive environment that fosters excellence in science in order to attract and stimulate talent and to capitalize knowledge.
Researchers in ERIBA focus on biological mechanisms of ageing and ways to increase a healthy lifespan, using various model organisms and advanced research tools. Their recent discoveries explain ageing phenomena such as stem cell decline, genome instability, loss of protein homeostasis, and metabolic decline. These phenomena are at the root of age-related frailty and major age-related diseases. ERIBA’s approach has already yielded several new drug targets, specialized models, and assays for the purpose of adding more healthy years to human life.
ERIBA is one of the first institutes in the world with a dedicated focus on ageing and the only research institute with such focus in the Netherlands. It distinguishes itself by:
- A group of internationally recognized research teams that study individual molecular pillars of ageing and that, through local and (inter)national collaboration, investigate how these interact to drive the ageing process.
- Being embedded in the Northern Netherlands, where healthy ageing research is a core focus of the local private sector, of municipal and provincial government organizations, of the UMCG and the University of Groningen (UG) and other care- and knowledge institutions.
- Having direct access to Lifelines, a longitudinal population cohort of 165000 inhabitants of the Northern Netherlands that started over 10 years ago, with extensive translation potential.
- Being part of and located at the UMCG, the second largest University Medical Center in the Netherlands, which facilitates research from bench to bedside and vice versa.
- Being affiliated with the University of Groningen, which ranks solidly in the top 100 of the best universities worldwide. The University has identified healthy ageing as one of its four main strategic focal areas, encompassing all of its faculties (ranging from social sciences, economy to science and engineering), ensuring significant investments in this priority area.
As new director of the European Research Institute for the Biology of Ageing (ERIBA] you are an authority within the field of ageing with a high ambition for our institute. You are a visionary and inspiring leader, able to coach an enthusiastic team of scientists. As department head you will contribute to the UMCG’s mission in education, research and other policies.
More specifically you are:
- An internationally renowned scientific leader with an excellent track record of creative fundamental ageing research that solidifies ERIBA’s research lines.
- An innovative and inspiring leader as well as a transparent and empathic mentor who will further stimulate the synergy between the research groups at ERIBA and supports professional growth.
- An enthusiastic entrepreneur with a drive to translate the gems of basic ageing research into clinical or industrial applications; and a keen interest to build bridges with these partners.
- An open communicator who will advocate the importance of preclinical and fundamental ageing research locally, nationally and internationally to the public, politicians as well as to the scientific community at large.
- An excellent sparring partner at the strategic level, capable to interact with partners at all levels of the UMCG, the University of Groningen, but also nationally and internationally.
- An excellent networker capable of establishing local as well as (inter)national networks and long-term relations.
- An experienced and enthusiastic teacher and role-model for students with expertise in and a clear view on the organization of education.
Conditions of employment
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and relevant experience and expertise, based on a full-time appointment. In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Terms of employment according to the Collective Labor Agreement (CAO) for University Medical Centers in the Netherlands.
For more information about the vacancy, you can contact:
- Prof. Dr. Marian Joëls, Dean and member of the Board of Directors, telephone: +31 50 3610281
ERIBA website: https://eriba.umcg.nl/
Annual reports of the institute: https://eriba.umcg.nl/annual-report/
UMCG website: https://www.umcg.nl/
Information about the city of Groningen: https://gemeente.groningen.nl
Applying for a job
Please use the the digital application form at the bottom of this page - only these will be processed.
You can apply until 25 May 2021.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.
Digital application form