PhD Position: Immunometabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
The University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG) is one of the largest medical centers in The Netherlands. More than 12.000 employees provide patient care and medical education and perform biomedical research. The environment is ambitious, dynamic, and international, with state-of-the-art facilities. You will have the opportunity to perform cutting-edge research in the Department of Pediatrics, in the building of the European Research Institute for the Biology of Aging (ERIBA), and to work with renowned scientists in the field of lipid metabolism and cardiovascular disease. You will also have the opportunity to participate in courses offered by the Graduate School of Sciences. The aim of the PhD program is to prepare candidates for a career as independent scientists.
It is well known that metabolic pathways affect inflammation and the immune response, with downstream consequences for cardiovascular diseases. However, the underlying mechanisms are unclear. The aim of this project is to identify new mechanisms linking intracellular metabolic pathways to inflammation and the immune response at the cellular level, and to investigate downstream consequences for metabolic diseases, including atherosclerosis.
- Highly motivated candidate with an interest for cardiovascular diseases.
- MSc in Biomedical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry or a related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work in a research group.
- Experience in the fields of metabolism, inflammation, immunology, and cardiovascular disease is an advantage, as is experience with mouse models, flow cytometry, histology, cell biology, and molecular biology techniques.
The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. The UMCG can provide you with the vaccination, should it be required for your position.
In case of specific professions a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ is required.
Conditions of employment
- Job duration is 4 years.
- The position is full-time (36 hours/week).
- Preferred starting date: between October 1st and December 1st, 2019.
Your salary will be a maximum of €3,103 gross per month (scale PhD), depending on your qualifications and relevant experience, based on a full-time appointment.
In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay, an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centres (CAO-UMC). English: http://www.nfu.nl/english/about-the-nfu/
For additional information regarding this vacancy, please contact:
Dr. Marit Westerterp, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (don't use for applications)
Applying for a job
Please use the the digital application form at the bottom of this page - only these will be processed.
You can apply until 8 September.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information of at least two references
- Academic transcripts
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.
Digital application form